Jump to content

Kitchen slide hose failed


hemsteadc
 Share

Recommended Posts

I've seen many questions over the years about problems with flexible hoses and wires in kitchen slides.  None have been reported that I could see.  Well, after 21 years, I finally had a break.

I started smelling gray water after doing the dishes, and didn't give it much thought, until a few days later I went outside and saw water pouring out of the slide.  On further inspection I found the flexible sink drain hose had come loose from its mooring on the PVC pipe, and sink water was just dumping out onto the slide floor behind the cabinets.

I slathered some JB Weld on the outside of the flex pipe and stuck it back in its sleeve.  We hope it's fixed. 

So, yeah, they can fail, but, it takes a long, long time and thousands of slide movements.

Edited by hemsteadc
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We, too, have a kitchen sink in our slide and our original hose failed long before yours did (at around 10 years).  The hose installed by the manufacturer was a "corrugated" one, with a relatively thin wall.  I replaced it with the same diameter hose intended for use in outdoor ponds.  We recently replaced it because of a buildup of sediment, but we didn't have any leaks in >10 years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

I hope I never have to replace mine because it would be very difficult. 

The first time it was replaced I did it myself.  This time, being 10 years older, I paid an RV technician to do it! 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

My RV technician would have to have his 8 yo child do it. It's in the framework with about a foot of crawlspace.

Mine was pretty awful, also.  I've read that some people disassemble some of the cabinetry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Well, my first attempt didn't go well.  Leaking again.

I JB welded it back, or so I thought, but apparently didn't get it pushed back all the way into the fitting, so it was just glued to some carpeting material they used to support the drain pipes.  Now I'm trying to file, cut or otherwise remove some jagged pieces of glue from the pipe, cut back the carpeting to reveal the actual receiver pipe, all while contorting myself through cabinets.  This is not easy.  

I'll either fix it or find some other way to wash dishes.  Perhaps outside, or, the bathroom sink.  

Ok.. trimmed everything up enough to stuff it back in.   That hose is stiff and difficult to move.  No leaks so far.  Putting this hose back in place may become another setup chore.  I hesitate to try to glue it again as that may not work and I'll have an even harder time getting it back in.

Edited by hemsteadc
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...