Go power solar

I have a 2007 four winds hurricane, it has a go power panel and controller installed, I gave the parts guy at camping world the model number and all info off of it, he recommended an expansion kit. So I bought it, but I don’t have the Mc connectors on the roof, they are just basic rubber coated plugs. So the expansion kit isn’t plug and plug. My question is, can I just buy mc connectors and put them on my original panel wires? I don’t see any reason why I couldn’t. But, if I do, is there different sizes connectors or are they universal? I see the connectors for sale on homedepot.com and Amazon but i right see a size. 

4 hours ago, ashton23l said:

I have a 2007 four winds hurricane, it has a go power panel and controller installed, I gave the parts guy at camping world the model number and all info off of it, he recommended an expansion kit. So I bought it, but I don’t have the Mc connectors on the roof, they are just basic rubber coated plugs. So the expansion kit isn’t plug and plug. My question is, can I just buy mc connectors and put them on my original panel wires? I don’t see any reason why I couldn’t. But, if I do, is there different sizes connectors or are they universal? I see the connectors for sale on homedepot.com and Amazon but i right see a size. 

There are kits to install MC connectors and that is one way to do it. Some prefer to splice the wires  and just avoid the connectors.  Splices of course need to be made properly and water proof.  Either way works.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

MC4 connectors are universal in the solar world.  Most panels come with MC4 connectors on them (but obviously not all do).  I have mixed and matched multiple different brand MC4 connectors over the years.  I have yet to find a combination that would not go together.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

7 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

MC4 connectors are universal in the solar world.  Most panels come with MC4 connectors on them (but obviously not all do).  I have mixed and matched multiple different brand MC4 connectors over the years.  I have yet to find a combination that would not go together.

Thank you! 

In some places I have successfully more or less HARD WIRED some of my solar cable connections (versus MC) using direct burial rated wire nuts (dielectric grease inside them) enclosed in a plastic water tight junction box. Sure MC can be fine and are used but correct direct burial rated wire nuts with dielectric grease inside a junction box makes for a solid low resistance high reliability splice in my humble opinion BUT HEY THATS JUST ME do as the experts tell you... I have seen instances of MC connections overheating and/or developing resistance..Probaly NOT used correctly ???

John T