Google's Chrome OS Flex supporting Macs that Apple has long forgotten

RV_

Remember that Macs since 2005 have Intel chipsets identical to Windows machines that were developed for as a way of saving profits and catching up to Windows speeds and capabilities.

Make sure you don’t miss the last paragraph because they are saying it will also run on Windows machines. In 2025 many Windows machines unable to upgrade to Windows 11 will be in the same boat. It is my opinion that Google may possibly be aiming to become the OS for all those computers that used to run Windows 10 but unable to run 11 when support for Windows 10 runs out in 2025.

So old Intel Macs, and Old windows machines that can run Windows 10 will also have the options of running Linux, and his new Google OS Flex. One project to watch.

Excerpts:

“A way to bring new life -- and security -- to your otherwise obsolete Mac.

Apple has supported Macs  for many years, but inevitably the day will come when the support plug is pulled, and security patches dry up.

And once that happens, it's the beginning of the end.

And then it's time for the scrap heap.

Well, if you're someone who didn't send their old Mac off to the scrap heap (or, as it would be today, the recycling center), then you might be able to give the system a new lease of life thanks to Google.

Yes, you read that, right. Google.

Chrome OS Flex is Google's latest project, and it brings Chrome OS to Macs  and PCs. Aimed at businesses and schools, it is currently in the early access stage and has been designed to be installed in minutes and will look and feel the same as Chrome OS.

Google has published a certified models list of systems that will run Chrome OS Flex, and on that list are a number of Macs that are either verified to work or will work but with minor issues.

Also: Apple's M1 Pro MacBook Pro is an amazing Windows 11 laptop

Here's the listing:

2022-02-16-12-06-14.jpg

Macs supported by Google Chrome OS Flex

We can decipher this list into something a bit more useful, and we can see that they span 2009 to 2015:

• iMac 21.5-inch Midv2010
  • iMac 21.5-inch Mid 2011/Late 2011
  • iMac 20-inch Early 2009/Mid 2009
  • Mac Mini Late 2014
  • MacBook 13-inch Early 2009/Mid 2009
  • MacBook 13-inch Late 2009
  • MacBook 13-inch Mid 2010
  • MacBook Air 11-inch Mid 2012
  • MacBook Air 11-inch Mid 2013/Early 2014
  • MacBook Pro 13-inch Mid 2009
  • MacBook Pro 13-inch Mid 2012

As you can see, a lot of Macs here going back over a decade. Macs that Apple has long forgotten.

Oh, and Chrome OS Flex also runs on a variety of PCs from vendors ranging from Acer, ASUS, Dell, HP, Microsoft, Toshiba, and many more.

It's an interesting project and a good way to offer a new lease of life for older macs. That said, I wonder just how many Macs are still around from the 2009 to 2015 era.”

More with links and info in the original article here:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/google-chrome-os-flex-supporting-macs-that-apple-has-long-forgotten/?ftag=TRE-03-10aaa6b&bhid=%7B%24external_id%7D&mid=%7B%24MESSAGE_ID%7D&cid=%7B%24contact_id%7D&eh=%7B%24CF_emailHash%7D

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

This OS does not support CD/DVD devices face recognition or fingerprint readers. It essentially makes mos Apple and Windows systems just barely functional and the updates are provided by the original equipment manufacturers so I'd likely just use an insecure Windows 10 OS as I doubt in 2025 when my touchscreen AIO Dell is no longer suppirted with ipdates for Windows 10, and as of now won't support Windows 11. I'll just buy a new 27" All In One, this time an HP because Dell isn't doing Quad HD 27" AIOs.

Excerpt:

"Google has recently annoucned the Chrome OS Flex, a web-based operating system that provides fast access to web applications and virtualization. It has the same code base and release cadence as Chrome OS, but provides some particular advantages over its predecessor. The lighter and faster Chrome OS Flex helps users to utilize their outdated computers by turning them into Chromebooks. However, what is the difference between Chrome OS and Chrome OS Flex? Keep reading to know more about Chrome OS Flex vs Chrome OS. 

In a blog post dated February 15, 2022, Google announced the Chrome OS Flex for PCs and Macs. Thomas Riedl, the Director of Product, Enterprise and Education says that "Chrome OS Flex is a new, free-to-download operating system from Google. Built for businesses and schools, it's fully compatible with Google's powerful cloud-based management." Adding to it, Riedl says that "Chrome OS Flex modernizes device you already own, allowing you to experience the benefits of Chrome OS on PCs and Macs."

Chrome OS Flex vs Chrome OS: Differences explained

• While the Chrome OS is exclusively available for Chromebooks, Chrome OS Flex can be downloaded and installed on any computer with Windows or macOS.  
  • Chrome OS devices contain a Google security chip that helps to protect the system but Chrome OS Flex devices do not as the OS is downloadable on third-party systems. 
  • Chrome OS devices directly manage their updates while Chrome OS Flex updates are provided by original equipment manufacturers. 
  • One of the biggest differences and downside to Chrome OS Flex is that it does not support Android applications or Google Play.
  • Since Chrome OS Flex is installed on devices that do not have a similar layout as those of the Chrome OS devices, some shortcuts might not work while using Chrome OS Flex. 
  • Yet another disadvantage of Chrome OS Flex is that it does not support fingerprint readers, face recognition cameras, stylus and other pen-related inputs, and CD/DVD drives. 

Overall, Chrome OS Flex can be looked upon as a lighter operating system than traditional Windows and macOS which can help users in reusing their outdated devices. However, since Chrome OS Flex will be available on devices that are not manufactured according to the standards of Chromebook, there are some functionalities of a Chrome OS that will not be available on systems with Chrome OS Flex."

Source: https://www.republicworld.com/technology-news/other-tech-news/how-os-flex-is-different-from-chrome-os-heres-all-you-need-to-know-articleshow.html

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I installed a version of this Chrome OS on an old laptop years ago...when it was called CloudReady, by Neverware.

It worked but since there was no specific power management or other power saving features, the battery life on the laptop went from more than 6 hours to about 2 hours. Some bits of hardware stopped working entirely...like the built-in ethernet port and SDR card reader. Driver issues, most likely.

Maybe on a desktop it might be worth a try...but in my case, when Windows 10 reaches its expiration date on this old desktop, I will just load a Linux distro with long term support and be done with it. 

Edited by podwerkz

Nothing to see here.