Freightliner Door panel replacement.

jenandjon

The door handle on the passenger side quit working soon after purchasing the truck. It was cheap enough, so I got one and replaced it. When I got the panel off, I knew I would have to replace the entire panel sooner or later. That time came. 

Freightliner made the door panels out of a very hard plastic that got brittle with age. So many screw holes were broken. 2 of the 4 screws for the door handle were just gone. Only one holding the window track. But I got it pieced together good enough to last another couple years. 

I decided that while I had it apart, I was going to add some sound deadening. I did a little research online and found this product called Killmat. They make 50 mill 80 mill and 100 mill. I got the 80 and doubled it up. It's a butyl-based product vs. the asphalt based. Not the most expensive but not the cheap stuff. According to the reviews and you tube videos this is supposedly the best bang for the buck. There are better products out there, but they are way more costly. 

Then I started looking for a door panel. Vander Haages has used for $220. Complete door panels. Pull your old one off slap this one in and done. But they were dirty, and some were cracked. I already had a dirty cracked one. Don't need another. Freightliner had them for $308 brand new no freight cost. 

So, I get it home and start transferring parts over to the new panel and I find out that the arm rest screws were all messed up. That is a big deal because they also hold the interior door handle in place. Back to Freightliner I go. Arm rest cost me another $100 but they actually had it in stock. While I'm in town I know I need a few screws because some of the holes were busted out and screws gone. Just a couple machine screws. Not a big deal. Stop at Fastenall they should have them. Yes, indeed they do have them. I need 4. They come in packs of 100. 🤦‍♂️ Ok fine. $6 for 100 screws that I only need 4 of. I get home and with help from my nephew I get it all put back together. 

All the interior pieces cleaned up real nice. The dark grey inserts in the picture. But the speaker grills were ugly and rusty. I had to do something. I hit them with a little flat black to match the grab bar and door handle. I think it turned out nice. I am pretty impressed with the Kilmat. The door shuts with a thud like a car door now instead of a rattle. Here is a like to where I got it. There is enough in the box to do a double layer on both doors.

Some of you may ask why I didn't replace the speaker while it was apart. The old speakers in the doors are unhooked. It only put it back in to fill the hole. We ran new wire and put bigger speakers in above the doors. 

Amazon.com: KILMAT 80 mil 18 sqft Car Sound Deadening Mat, Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener, Audio Noise Insulation and dampening : Automotive

LmuTf3ol.jpg

hJM2KrYl.jpg

TVb8pSFl.jpg

lEDntDol.jpg

lTGC3Sll.jpg

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

How did you keep the screws from falling in door? I took a pair of doors apart to get the power windows from them but after the screws kept dropping into the door, I decided not to take my door panels off to install them but I have a door latch that is starting to act up and cracks in my panels, so I may be forced to do in the future!

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

On 2/13/2022 at 9:23 AM, jenandjon said:

The screws in the side of the door can be a pain. I guess my torx driver must be magnetic. I never drooped any. 

Yep, I may have to get a magnetic one to try.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.