Time to replace or repair the Thetford

lappir

Asked for a "High Quality Toilet" when I had my home built. Got a $700 pile of ceramic JUNK. 

Sure it looks real good on the outside, but less then 3 years after it's install I come home to a flood. No way to work on without pulling it up from the floor. Turn it over and find cheap plastic insides. Contacted the company with suggestions on how to repair and was sent the same cheap plastic poorly made repair pieces that lasted even less time than the OEM stuff. I turned off the water to the unit and have been pouring water in from the bathroom sink since. I actually recycle my hand washing water as the "Flush" so maybe their idea was water conservation. 

A few days ago the flush pedal stopped working. I don't remember the mechanism so I don't know if I can make a fix without contacting the company. I won't purchase anything from the company again, so I may have to do a replacement. 

I have looked at a lot of them on line but only a few in person. Last one several years ago at the Tampa RV show. 

Composting units are somewhat interesting, but the incinerating seem much easier to dispose of the solid material. I'm not worried about the liquid. I have a large black tank and will continue to use it for liquids and not have to worry about carrying the "Pee bucket" associated with the Composting units. 

Part of me just wants to do a home built composter unit, but while I have grand ideas at times, they don't always work out as planned. This is one of the situations I probably should leave to a "Professional", so back to the online search and hope I can find a local retailer. It's a short walk to the park 'restroom' and lately I've been spending a lot of time at work and mostly only sleeping at home. 

For those of you who have read this to the end. Thanks. It's part a request for suggestions and mostly a release of the frustrations with RV toilet stuff. Why can't they design a high quality unit that works well? 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

In fifty years of RV ownership I've tried all kinds of them, cheap ones, expensive ones, different brands and styles. As I'm not into the composting types, the last few Ive changed out I went with Thetford Electra Magic 80 Recirculating Toilet which work great, never any problems whatsoever with any of them, and we can go extended times before we have to dump. Of course there are advantages and disadvantages of any and all of them and to each their own, Im ONLY speaking from personal experience based on the kind I choose after several years of use.

OOps PS I forgot I did change out the slide dump valve on one which after a few years was tight n sticky to operate yet still worked.

Merry CHRISTmas

John T

Thanks John, 

Glad you had better luck with the thetford than I did. 

Visited the local RV shop and they put on order a 320 Dometic porcelain for me. In review of a few online offers their price seems fair. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

We've been using the same Thetford Aqua-Magic Style Plus porcelain bowl toilet since 2008, even moving it from one motorhome to another in 2013. The only "repairs" it has had are a few flush ball gasket replacements over the years, about a 15-20 minute job. We really like the residential seat and ease of cleaning the bowl.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system