Borax mine tour outside of Boron CA

dennisvr

Most of the time I travel to Arizona from Calif for the winter I lay over in Boron CA which is about halfway for me.  I have always thought about taking the time to visit the Borax mine just north of Boron CA, but never have.  This time I'm hoping to take the time and go there.  So my question is, has anyone checked it out and was it worth going to see.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Yes, the Rio Tinto - 20 Mule Team Borax Mine Visitor Center is a hidden gem - one of the best visitor centers I've seen.  Follow the signs, it'll look like you're going into the mine itself but take the gravel road to the top of the slag heap.   The Visitor Center is up there, overlooking the mining operations and has numerous exhibits about the mine and borax's history from the 20 Mule Team days to present.  Parking and admission are free but donations are accepted to support the local community.  The parking lot is RV accessible but no overnight stays are allowed.

https://www.borax.com/borax-operations/borax-visitor-centex

There's an unaffiliated Borax mining museum in town, also worth a visit.

Edited by Lou Schneider

17 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

Yes, the Rio Tinto - 20 Mule Team Borax Mine Visitor Center is a hidden gem - one of the best visitor centers I've seen.  Follow the signs, it'll look like you're going into the mine itself but take the gravel road to the top of the slag heap.   The Visitor Center is up there, overlooking the mining operations and has numerous exhibits about the mine and borax's history from the 20 Mule Team days to present.  Parking and admission are free but donations are accepted to support the local community.  The parking lot is RV accessible but no overnight stays are allowed.

https://www.borax.com/borax-operations/borax-visitor-centex

There's an unaffiliated Borax mining museum in town, also worth a visit.

Thanks for the info.  

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car