Back to the lifestyle

etcetera

19 hours ago, etcetera said:

Have been gone for a decade and now I am back. What a beast.  32-passenger, V10 6.8L - the few, the proud. 53,000 miles. 

https://imgur.com/Y53aNBG

Did you actually buy this one? 

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I am worried, a bit concerned/scared/ecstatic/excited.. all of that.

Do not plan to make any major renovations this winter but will plan things for the spring. My only ambition right now is to register it and take out all the chairs and install a bed and some kind of heater.

I did get a Check Engine Light on the way back so will get a scanner to identify it. I wonder what it could be. V10 is supposed to be a reliable motor. Maybe some kind of sensor.

3 hours ago, etcetera said:

My only ambition right now is to register it and take out all the chairs and install a bed and some kind of heater.

You might want to search Amazon for twin long bed frame to find a type of bed frame that is popular with van dwellers because you can cut PVC pipe in various lengths to slip over the legs to make the bed level even when the floor isn't. There's a skinny version that those living in minivans like.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

10 hours ago, sandsys said:

You might want to search Amazon for twin long bed frame to find a type of bed frame that is popular with van dwellers because you can cut PVC pipe in various lengths to slip over the legs to make the bed level even when the floor isn't. There's a skinny version that those living in minivans like.

Linda

Interesting concept. I run queen size and I am sure there an option for that too.

2 hours ago, etcetera said:

Interesting concept. I run queen size and I am sure there an option for that too.

Yes, if you have room for that plus everything else you'll want.

Linda

I do. The size I got seems perfect. Any larger and it's too large. Difficulties with parking and even heavier and worse MPG than it already has. It's much smaller than a full size class A.

Any smaller and you have to decide what you won't include. I want queen bed, full size 8 foot couch, full size computer desk, a stove. A shower obviously. I do not need a dinette. Not sure about a closet, if I have the space. I do not like anyone's floor design, I want something unique.

What else? A  compact wood stove jammed in there somewhere.

I saw this cute 22 -passenger van that seemed almost perfect, had everything I wanted - F550 chassis, the mighty V10, cute as a button, very easy parking and the icing on the cake was it had 30K miles on it or such. They were asking 30K but settled for less.  I almost bid on it then realized I would have to leave out half the things I wanted.

4 hours ago, etcetera said:

Any smaller and you have to decide what you won't include. I want queen bed, full size 8 foot couch, full size computer desk, a stove. A shower obviously. I do not need a dinette. Not sure about a closet, if I have the space. I do not like anyone's floor design, I want something unique.

I did not have a dinette in my van. Why would I need both a desk and a table? I just moved my laptop aside during meals. I did have a real office chair there which was one of my must haves. I rarely used my induction burner; I mostly used my microwave. It's how I cook. :)

Linda

1 hour ago, sandsys said:

I did not have a dinette in my van.

We didn't have one in our first class A either. It was only 25' long and had two barrel chairs, with a swing up table between them. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, etcetera said:

I measured, I have 21' of usable space length wise.

That should work. You can put your queen bed across the back, your 8' couch along the passenger side so you can see out those windows when backing up, the shower stall behind the driver's seat and the galley between the shower and bed.

• 8 months later...

I am sure it would be possible to do that if you are willing to use that much of your space for the bathroom. The class A that we lived in for 12 years had a 3/4 length tub. The catch with most bath tubs in RVs is that unless you have one of the tankless water heaters there won't be a large enough supply of hot water to fill the tub, even if as small as ours was. I think that we actually used our tub less than once a year.

How is the project going? It has been a long time since we heard from you.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, you are right. That makes sense.
I got stuck with something else but now am back on the project. Removed most of the seats. I probably won't full time in it until spring but this gives me plenty of time to finish it.

The electric stuff seems to be the most important element. 

What I am doing this week is trying to figure out South Dakota registration, it seems straightforward. 
Want to register it there without a SD DL.

Edited by etcetera

Got all the seats and out and am contemplating what to install next.
Probably the electric system because it seems to be at the heart of the entire operation. The computer, fresh water pump, mini fridge. Can cook on propane. Solar plus Li-ion battery bank plus all the other parts I need.

kCV4BrZ.jpg

Edited by etcetera

1 hour ago, etcetera said:

Probably the electric system because it seems to be at the heart of the entire

Have you determined where the potable water tank and the waste water tanks will be located? As important as electricity is, the plumging is more critical in location and weight as well as hiding the plumbing associated with it.

I suspect it is time to play paper dolls. A scale drawing of the bus then drawings of various components like beds, sinks, etc that you can move around on the bus drawing to see what fits where. That will help you determine where you need plumbing and electric outlets. Again, I recommend trying to keep all drains and holding tanks between the axels for dump purposes.

Linda

Edited by sandsys