Dispersed camping (Jug Hollow) Flaming Gorge UT

dennisvr

Planning on being at Flaming Gorge UT in a few days and was wondering if anyone has camped in the Jug Hollow area with a HDT?  I'm pulling a 40' 5th wheel with a HDT (2 axle Volvo 660).  I've read road is washboard and some places sandy.  That's what I'm concerned about with 1 drive axle with no locker.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

We've been to Flaming Gorge for 2 weeks in the spring the last two years.  We camp on the Jug Hollow (Antelope Flats) road.  It's been no problem for our HDT and it's dual rear wheel.  Never used our lockers or had any problem with the sand.  Some of the curves and downslopes look intimidating but again, it's been no problem.  I cruise the washboard road about 20-25 and it's not bad at all.  Trout bite is AWESOME in Mid April to Mid May.  See our blog (link is below) for the last two years for pics of the lake, trout, road and campsite we landed in...noone for 100yds either year.  About 1.5 miles on the dirt road, the road splits 3 ways.  We always take the left hand one and take the 4th-6th campsite down that road.  You could fit 3-5 big rigs in the clearing.  Go for it and ENJOY the antelope and Bald eagles that have a nest on the island in the cove in front of our campsite!!ibyxEGDl.jpg

Edited by Brad NSW

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

On 8/23/2021 at 9:32 AM, dennisvr said:

Planning on being at Flaming Gorge UT in a few days and was wondering if anyone has camped in the Jug Hollow area with a HDT?  I'm pulling a 40' 5th wheel with a HDT (2 axle Volvo 660).  I've read road is washboard and some places sandy.  That's what I'm concerned about with 1 drive axle with no locker.

Dennis in a situation you can deflate truck tires to 30-35 psi maybe less on the drives, and 15 to 18 on the trailer to floatation out. 

See TireBoss website www.tireboss.com 

Don't exceed about 20 mph depending on air temp and blow em back up when you reach hard ground again  yada yada

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

15 hours ago, Brad NSW said:

We've been to Flaming Gorge for 2 weeks in the spring the last two years.  We camp on the Jug Hollow (Antelope Flats) road.  It's been no problem for our HDT and it's dual rear wheel.  Never used our lockers or had any problem with the sand.  Some of the curves and downslopes look intimidating but again, it's been no problem.  I cruise the washboard road about 20-25 and it's not bad at all.  Trout bite is AWESOME in Mid April to Mid May.  See our blog (link is below) for the last two years for pics of the lake, trout, road and campsite we landed in...noone for 100yds either year.  About 1.5 miles on the dirt road, the road splits 3 ways.  We always take the left hand one and take the 4th-6th campsite down that road.  You could fit 3-5 big rigs in the clearing.  Go for it and ENJOY the antelope and Bald eagles that have a nest on the island in the cove in front of our campsite!!ibyxEGDl.jpg

Thanks Brad for all the info.  After checking out the Jug Hollow Rd camping area on google earth I seen there was a campground across the lake ran by the Forest Service.  Part is reservations and part first come first serve.  I'm thinking about checking that out.  I'm coming from the west and looks like I can go in thru Manila Ut.  

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

5 hours ago, noteven said:

Dennis in a situation you can deflate truck tires to 30-35 psi maybe less on the drives, and 15 to 18 on the trailer to floatation out. 

See TireBoss website www.tireboss.com 

Don't exceed about 20 mph depending on air temp and blow em back up when you reach hard ground again  yada yada

Thanks for the info.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Either choice you make, enjoy the lake.  We took our Smart to the Forest Service Campground and decided we liked our spot much better.  FS campground is much closer to a boat launch but others on Jug Hollow just back the boats in off the beach.  If you get the chance to hike down to the Green River, below the dam, there is some beautiful hiking trails along the river!

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

10 hours ago, Brad NSW said:

Either choice you make, enjoy the lake.  We took our Smart to the Forest Service Campground and decided we liked our spot much better.  FS campground is much closer to a boat launch but others on Jug Hollow just back the boats in off the beach.  If you get the chance to hike down to the Green River, below the dam, there is some beautiful hiking trails along the river!

Thanks again for the info.  I was thinking the same, unload the Smart and drive over to Jug Hollow to see if we should go there.  I would rather boondock then be in any campground.   Should get there today, we are in Wendover Nv now.

2015 Smart Car