NC to NM/CO I-40 alternate routes June/July 2021

jules2go

Hello, 

I'm looking for some suggestions for alternate routes that won't be too far off the I-40 beaten trail. A friend just drove from NM to NC on 40 and said OK City and Little Rock were a mess. Does anyone have ideas on an alternate route around those cities? Thank you. 

Nucamp T@b 320S, Toyota Tacoma

Asheville. NC

Don't postpone joy!

What is the "mess"?  construction?  I went  NM to Memphis last March and had the fewest issues in years. I do like going  through OKC  in less busy hours. Granted that was a little over a year ago.

I returned from Memphis via I40 to Little Rock, I30 to New Boston a little east of Texarkana then picked up Hwy 82 to Hwy 287 just south of Wichita Falls then NW on 287  back to I40 at Amarillo. Most of  Hwy 82 is 2 lane but not to busy most of the way. I usually take the loop around the N. side of Paris, TX. Again that was just over a year ago. Most of 287 is diveded 4 lane but not Interstate.

BTW at Little Rock I usually take the southern bypass around Little Rock a little before you get to Little Rock.   Not unusual to have road construction in some parts of Ark. Last year they were working on multiple mostly small bridges  on the interstate in eastern Arkansas

On 4/6/2021 at 11:29 PM, bigjim said:

What is the "mess"?  construction?  I went  NM to Memphis last March and had the fewest issues in years. I do like going  through OKC  in less busy hours. Granted that was a little over a year ago.

Hello -- thank you for these recommendations. I'll definitely look up these routes. My friend said there was a ton of construction with significant delays of up to 2 hours to get through some sections. I don't know what time of day she hit those areas. 

Asheville. NC

Don't postpone joy!

Although not exactly your travel route, our travels were in the opposite direction taking us from NM to Springdale/Fayetteville, Arkansas.

After traveling I-40 from NM, when we got near Oklahoma City, we traveled the John Kilpatrick Tpke north of Oklahoma City to the Turner Tpke (I-44) to Cherokee Tpke (Hwy 412) into Springdale, Arkansas. It may be a bit out the way for you if you are heading directly to New Mexico. You’d have to pick up I-540 to get to the Cherokee Tpke.

2016 Leisure Travel Van Serenity S24CB

6 hours ago, crstrm said:

Although not exactly your travel route, our travels were in the opposite direction taking us from NM to Springdale/Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Thank you, I'll take a look at this route. 

Asheville. NC

Don't postpone joy!

• 3 weeks later...

With all due respect, if you plan on taking many trips during the warm seasons when road repair is ongoing, then you will encounter construction.  My approach is not to worry about it and just get used to driving with barriers on both sides.  I don't like it, but, most of the time, it is easier to put up with it than trying to find detours. JMO

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

3 hours ago, docj said:

With all due respect, if you plan on taking many trips during the warm seasons when road repair is ongoing, then you will encounter construction.  My approach is not to worry about it and just get used to driving with barriers on both sides.  I don't like it, but, most of the time, it is easier to put up with it than trying to find detours. JMO

I totally agree. Summer is the time they do repairs - everywhere.

If you're that concerned then pick up a secondary highway about 20-50 miles before hitting the big city and weave your way back on the interstate 20-50 miles beyond the city.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel