Kaiser Coverage in CA - Going Full Time - Need Advice

My husband and I are planning on going full-time in 2022.  This year is all about research on every aspect before we set off.

I have been a Kaiser member my entire life.  Since we will have to domicile out of California, I am freaking out a bit on switching medical coverage.  I need help and guidance. 

Suggestions anyone?

Welcome to the Escapee forums and also to the RV club! We hare happy that you are here and we will do our best to help.

First question is, are you and/or your husband eligible for Medicare? If not, Florida has the best selection of private health plans, while TX also has good choices of Medicare supplemental policies. I believe that South Dakota also has a reasonably good selection for supplemental policies. I would also check with your present plan first to see if you can stay with that plan as you begin to travel fulltime and if it will cover when you domicile in a state other than CA. 

Do not hesitate to join in on this and any other of the forums in our group as we are here to help and we enjoy doing so. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, The Sappingtons said:

I have been a Kaiser member my entire life.  Since we will have to domicile out of California, I am freaking out a bit on switching medical coverage.  I need help and guidance. 

If you will be on Medicare in 2022, then ignore the rest of my post.

However, if you will be under 65 in 2022 and you have to buy your own individual health insurance, then read on.

First, full timers need a nationwide health plan, typically a PPO plan. These type of plans are difficult to find. For example, currently, nationwide ACA plans are only available in AK, AL, AR, CA, FL, ND, and WY.

I saw that you live in Brentwood, CA and used HealthSherpa to look up what ACA health insurance is currently available in your area . . .

Kaiser has a number of health plans, but there are all HMOs which I think do not have nationwide networks.

On the other hand, Blue Shield of CA has PPO health plans which I believe have nationwide networks.

For ACA health plans, what matters is where you actually reside, not necessarily your domicile. For example, if you get a CA health plan, but never spend time in CA, good luck.

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

First question is, are you and/or your husband eligible for Medicare? If not, Florida has the best selection of private health plans . . .

How do you know this?

Edited by Zulu

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

I too was a CA resident on Kaiser before I went full time. I switched my Domicle to So Dakota. If you are on Medicare there are two options for a Medicare Supplement policy in So Dakota. One is United Health thru AARP. The other is Mutual of Omaha. Both are nationwide coverage as all Medicare Supplements are. Do not get get a Medicare Advantage plan as they are HMOs. In addition to Medicare and Medicare Supplement plans you will need a part D plan for Rx. I chose Silver Script thru CVS. I used Gerald Heinrich of Heinrich & Asso. an Escapees commercial member as my broker for all my health insurance policies. I suggest you give him a call (866) 558-3577. He is in TX but I believe they can help you in several States like TX, FL and SD. I also believe that they can assist you with non Medicare plans but not ACA plans which are only sold online. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

7 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

I too was a CA resident on Kaiser before I went full time. I switched my Domicle to So Dakota. If you are on Medicare there are two options for a Medicare Supplement policy in So Dakota. One is United Health thru AARP. The other is Mutual of Omaha. Both are nationwide coverage as all Medicare Supplements are. Do not get get a Medicare Advantage plan as they are HMOs. In addition to Medicare and Medicare Supplement plans you will need a part D plan for Rx. I chose Silver Script thru CVS. I used Gerald Heinrich of Heinrich & Asso. an Escapees commercial member as my broker for all my health insurance policies. I suggest you give him a call (866) 558-3577. He is in TX but I believe they can help you in several States like TX, FL and SD. I also believe that they can assist you with non Medicare plans but not ACA plans which are only sold online. 

Thank you so much for the information.  I will give him a call.  I really appreciate you taking the time to respond!

14 hours ago, Zulu said:

If you will be on Medicare in 2022, then ignore the rest of my post.

However, if you will be under 65 in 2022 and you have to buy your own individual health insurance, then read on.

First, full timers need a nationwide health plan, typically a PPO plan. These type of plans are difficult to find. For example, currently, nationwide ACA plans are only available in AK, AL, AR, CA, FL, ND, and WY.

I saw that you live in Brentwood, CA and used HealthSherpa to look up what ACA health insurance is currently available in your area . . .

Kaiser has a number of health plans, but there are all HMOs which I think do not have nationwide networks.

On the other hand, Blue Shield of CA has PPO health plans which I believe have nationwide networks.

For ACA health plans, what matters is where you actually reside, not necessarily your domicile. For example, if you get a CA health plan, but never spend time in CA, good luck.

How do you know this?

My husband will be on Medicare.  I am still a few years away.  Thank you so much for your response!!!!  

17 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Welcome to the Escapee forums and also to the RV club! We hare happy that you are here and we will do our best to help.

First question is, are you and/or your husband eligible for Medicare? If not, Florida has the best selection of private health plans, while TX also has good choices of Medicare supplemental policies. I believe that South Dakota also has a reasonably good selection for supplemental policies. I would also check with your present plan first to see if you can stay with that plan as you begin to travel fulltime and if it will cover when you domicile in a state other than CA. 

Do not hesitate to join in on this and any other of the forums in our group as we are here to help and we enjoy doing so. 

Thank you so much!!  My husband will be eligible for Medicare, I have 3 more years.  Thank you for your recommendations.  Kaiser will not allow you to be a member if your address is not in one of their service areas.  So, I do need to figure this out.  Good thing I have time.  Thank you again!