Leveling Valve replacement.

SuiteSuccess

On my way to Texas for family business and meeting up with friends, I encountered a leaking front right (passenger side) air spring.  Found a diesel repair shop that had the replacement bag (but not valve) and could work me in since this was Saturday and I had to be at my destination Monday.  The tech (kid) broke the leveling valve while removing the bag.  Couldn’t get proper valve until Monday.  A decent shop but he admitted he had never replaced a Hendrickson front bag before.  Fortunately I had a leveling valve as a spare but was not a proper replacement for the one he broke.  With the help of a more experienced tech they made it work but could not really adjust the ride height properly on that side so it rode a little high.  Fast forward and I get home and order the replacement valve.  Since I had replaced the left few years back with a Hadley, I ordered the same brand.  RH part #85113661 (right leveling valve, left is #85113660) and #85114007 mounting bracket.  qObbjWfl.jpg

The above is the left side (drivers side) bag and valve.  Notice the air “supply” comes straight into the valve into the upper push to connect.  Also notice the slope on the bracket.  The shock is toward the front of the truck for orientation.

IAoJTKYl.jpg

Still the left side showing the “suspension “ port with line to the bag on the right of the pic.  Again notice the slope of the bracket.  Hadley says to mount the valve with the exhaust port down, never up.

Now switch to the right (passenger side).  First the new bracket.  I verified numbers and orientation so it is the proper one for the right side but notice the slope.  Instead of sloping towards front of truck, it slopes back.

CSVMeJ8l.jpg

New valve.  Oriented with exhaust down and basically only way it can be mounted in the bracket.  The shock is to the front of the truck.

faKJ9rzl.jpg

Now the problem. The “supply” port is now on the back side of the valve requiring a big loop to connect rather than straight in like on the left.  The “suspension “ port is on the front likewise requiring a big airline loop to connect.  Before anyone asks I rechecked all part numbers and they are correct.

The issue is that it seems the right hand valve should be a mirror image of the left hand valve with the supply coming straight into the front and the suspension port to the back.  Also it seems the bracket is sloped in reverse from what it should be.  (BTW the first part guy I talked to where I ordered said I ordered backward, that right and left is standing in front of the grill and looking toward the cab.  NO it’s sitting behind the wheel looking out the windshield so I asked for a more senior parts guy.). 
So folks what am I missing or what did I do wrong.  I just don’t like having all that airline hanging in the breeze,

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

This is a photo of the valve #85113661 for orientation of the supply and suspension ports and mounting.

.xYx6nS3l.png

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

16 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

sNHFCTnl.jpg

So it’s the same as mine.  Hmm.  You would have thought if they were going to have two different valve #’s and bracket #’s they would have made mirror images.  Poor design.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

19 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

My truck was one of the earlier designs and had one front leveling valve located on the drivers side. The design was soon changed to the more common twin valve setup. I added the passenger side valve according to instructions given to be by Volvo.  

Mine came with the original two valve Hendrickson system with all Hendrickson parts.  When I compared the Volvo brand bags and the Hadley Valves they were half the price.  The original Hendrickson valves were mirror images which is why it surprises me the Hadleys are not.  They are Volvo specific though.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Desert miner,

One other thing.  I made a “gauge” out of particle board to set the ride height.  It is supposed to be 7 7/8” +/- 1/8” from bottom plate of bag to bottom of top bag mounting plate.  Closest I could get by rotating body of valve was 7 3/4” which is within tolerance but limited by bracket slot.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Interesting.....IIRC you need to inflate/deflate a number of times to verify height adjustment.  I also put some miles on mine doing a test drive and tweaked the setting. Do you have the steel spacer plates under the airbag?  What color is the bottom of the bag’s mounting plate?

Edited by DesertMiner

I do not have the plates.  Hendrickson literature says you need the stiffeners but two parts houses and my local Volvo dealer said you don’t need them with the replacement Volvo branded bags.  My bag is #20897204.  I called Hendrickson and with their bag you need the plate.  They sell it as a kit but it’s only for trucks built between 03/05 - 06/07.  That kit is #60961-182.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

41 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

That’s the “newer” bag and has the “blue” bottom plate. 

👍

2017 DRV 39DBRS3