Hurricane/Tropical Storm - Maplesville, AL

edatlanta

A lot of this won't mean much to those not in this area, but Maplesville is approx 60 miles south of Birmingham, AL just west of I-65. I spent part of the night with a friend a half mile from my home base site.

I'm back at my place and no obvious damage, but an oak limb just missed my 5th. wheel. Lots of limbs down all around. Power is off everywhere I can see. County Road 10 is blocked between Maple Dr. and Hwy 22. Power lines down across Maple Dr at CR 10. Reed Street blocked by tree between Hwy 22 and Maple Dr. Power lines down on Maple Dr between Shanks Dr and Loper Ln. Lines down on Hwy 22 at Shanks Dr.
That is all I have seen. I just fired up my generator and thinking about a cup of coffee.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

We were surprised this morning by the strong winds. Power went out around 7AM. And we are camping at Oconee COE park which is up near the junction of GA, SC and NC far from the gulf coast. The hourly forecast is saying we are having gusts to 50 mph, but it's supposed to blow thru by noon. That is one fast moving storm. Might have to crank up the generator if they don't get the power back up. We are 600 miles from New Orleans

Edited by agesilaus

There are definitely benefits to living in an RV full time. 32 hours now since the storm took our electricity away and I'm sitting here drinking a cup of hot coffee watching last night's news on the TV. My built in generator is worth every penny.
The power company told us yesterday it could be 4 days before power is restored since they had a full 1/3 of their customers without power. There was a lot of cleanup going on around here yesterday, cutting trees off of roads, etc. but zero power line maintenance. We have to wait out turn and we are just a little place.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

A fairly big tree fell in this park, missed the RV in site 10 by 2 feet. By the time I went over with my camera at 11 AM the park had already vanished the fallen tree and the RV was gone... Power was back on here by 1 PM. Other than a million of so leaves on the ground and a lot of fallen small branches the effect here was minimal. One guy a couple of sites down slept thru it under a tarp stretched between some trees.

7 hours ago, agesilaus said:

One guy a couple of sites down slept thru it under a tarp stretched between some trees.

As a child I could sleep like that. I once slept through a hailstorm in an aluminum roofed trailer.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van