Problems Setting Up GL-AR150-Ext Travel Router

LindaH

Here's what I've done so far using the instructions found here -- https://docs.gl-inet.com/en/3/setup/mini_router/first-time_setup/ :

1. Powered the router on by inserting the USB cable into the computer's USB port.  The router's green light is on.
  2. Turned the Visible phone's WiFi on, found the router in the list and selected it.  Currently says "Connected, no internet."
  3. Went to 192.168.8.1 on the Visible phone, selected "English" and set up an Admin Password.  I'm then directed to the Admin Panel.
  4. Scrolled down to "Repeater" and did a Scan.  After the Scan, I get a list of SSID it's detecting, but the router is not in the list.  So I can't go any farther in the setup.  (I double checked to make sure the router was still connected in the list of WiFi options and it is.)

So where do I go from here?  There must be some step I need to do that's not talked about in the instructions.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

15 hours ago, pappy437 said:

BY far no expert but I think you need to turn phones hotspot on not wifi. At least that is how mine works.

The directions for setting up the router, the URL of which I gave above, gives 4 methods of connecting the router to the "device"  -- in this case, my Visible phone.

1. Ethernet cable.  
  2. 3G/4G modem.
  3. Tethering
  4. Repeater (i.e., WifI)

That's why I'm using WiFi and not the Hotspot on the Visible phone.

15 hours ago, pappy437 said:

I think you need to find the router on the computer and then work from that end. At least that is how I got mine to work.

I *can* find the router on my computer, but when I try to connect it says, "no internet, secured."  Because the *phone* and the *router* are not yet paired together -- which is what I'm trying to do. 

My purpose in getting this router was so that my Visible phone can connect to more than one device at a time -- at least that's what I *thought* the purpose of the router was.

But I cannot get the two paired together and don't know what it is that I'm doing wrong.  And now, of course, I can't even get the phone to load the http://192.168.8.1 website!

I know there are people here who are using Visible phones and this particular router -- how did you go about setting them up so both devices are paired?

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

I would guess that you have to tether the phone to the router and than connect to the wifi with the computer and the phone. I was reading the link you provide for the router and I'm pretty sure that this is how to do it.

Edited by hatrack

IMG_856.png.ae22d1dc2b12f9fb806b4e17121ee0b0.png

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

2016 GMC 3500 Denali DRW, CC, LB, Curt 25k, Sold

Linda, you're going backwards. Hotspot the phone. Connect the router. Use the router WiFi to connect the computer.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

• 7 months later...

Go to this doc by gsgriffin. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS TO A TEE. RV Internet $40-$25/month unlimited internet setup process - Google Docs . It has been working for me for a few months now. You are currently not close to setting this up correctly. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

21 hours ago, chuckbear said:

You are currently not close to setting this up correctly. Chuck

I'm assuming this is meant for me.  My original post, above, was 7 months ago and I've since figured it out with the help of fellow forum member mrschwarz who sent me step-by-step instructions to get the router working with the Visible phone.  I gave tazh2o the link to the instructions in his original post.

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul