Locast adds Detroit DMA

Email from Locast this morning:

"We are pleased to announce we are now delivering more than 60 local TV channels to viewers in the Detroit TV market, reaching the following Michigan counties with streaming TV:  Lapeer, Livingston, Macomb, Monroe, Oakland, Sanilac, St. Clair, Washtenaw, and Wayne."

https://www.locast.org/

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I tried to sign up for their service and it said I was out of the service area for Seattle.

However, I contacted them and pointed out that Wenatchee is part of the Seattle DMA.  Couple of days later I was told that it was fixed and that Wenatchee residents could now get the Seattle stations.

Hopefully, they will be updated the other areas to account for communities on the fringes.

One question......when your traveling are you limited to the stations only in your area or can you pull in "distant" locals???

BTW....in today's Wall Street Journal there was an article on unaffiliated local TV stations providing a free streaming service that WOULD be available national-wide.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

40 minutes ago, Vladimir said:

I tried to sign up for their service and it said I was out of the service area for Seattle.

However, I contacted them and pointed out that Wenatchee is part of the Seattle DMA.  Couple of days later I was told that it was fixed and that Wenatchee residents could now get the Seattle stations.

Hopefully, they will be updated the other areas to account for communities on the fringes.

One question......when your traveling are you limited to the stations only in your area or can you pull in "distant" locals???

BTW....in today's Wall Street Journal there was an article on unaffiliated local TV stations providing a free streaming service that WOULD be available national-wide.

I think you can only watch the networks where you actually are, assuming that they cover that market. They look at your IP address to determine your location. Let me know when you find out what they say about traveling and viewing when you subscribe “donate” monthly. I think when you do you don’t leave every 5 minutes interrupting the broadcast about “donating”. I assume that you never see them again if you “donate”.  Or are you only locked into your home market? Only they can tell you. Please let us know what you find out. 
I’m not worried about the unaffiliated stations, really just the majors. ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX.

Thanks

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

1 hour ago, Vladimir said:

Locast uses a couple of different less than perfect geo-fencing methods to restrict viewing to roughly the designated market area (DMA) for each served city. One method uses your IP address to determine your location, while another uses your latitude and longitude as determined by your GPS on devices that support GPS. There are some ways around those methods though. For PC browser use, the "Location Guard" add-on for Chrome and Firefox works well for making Locast think you're in a served DMA, and on GPS equipped Android phones, the "Fake GPS" app also works well with Locast. There may be a similar option for IOS. For my Firestick, I use NordVPN to view Locast from the cities where both have coverage. Location Guard may also work with Chromium based MS Edge, but I have not tried it.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system