Mountain Coward

hondo in seattle

I think you're either the type of person who is calm and confident or you're not.  It's not something you can learn and that's OK.  If you can't handle them no amount of driving them will make them easy.  You can improve in your feelings and make them easier but rarely would you be comfortable.  I guess we're on the calm side because both of us have driven Wolf Creek Pass and Red Mtn. Hwy 550 in CO with our 40' motorhome towing the Jeep many times in both directions.  One thing I always recommend is to use the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers & RVers' and read up on the various roads before driving them to give you a 'heads up' on what you can expect.  Sometimes just the unknown is scary.  Nowadays there are YouTubes on just about all the challenging and scenic highways.  Go for the ride with them.  Keep in mind that many are in fast video speed so it looks worse than it really is.  Also, many are driven by motorcyclists because that's what the seek out.  Finally, sometimes you just have to turn the sound off for the awful music they play.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

18 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

But another part of my problem is that I just don't trust the rig.  It sways and bounces in ways that make me feel like it's not terribly stable and not necessarily going to do what I want it to do. 

Kirk's advise about checking things like air bag inflation, etc., is good.  Also, have you had a front-end alignment done...preferably once it's loaded for a trip?  Additionally, having your rig weighed -- all four corners -- would be a good idea to make sure your rig is properly balanced once it's loaded.  Finally, what is the wheel base-to-length ratio of your motorhome?  Too short of a ratio can cause handling problems.

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I feel ya!!!!!!! There is a medication called propranolol that might help. It's a beta blocker used for hypertension, but it's also used often by people with stage fright or public speaking. It calms the fight or flight awful sensation. I work in psychiatry so am pretty familiar with it. You can talk with your doctor or nurse practitioner about it to see if it's right for you. It won't make you sedated, just calms the jitters. I'm going to be in CO and have fears about driving these roads too, so I might take some along with me. 

Nucamp T@b 320S, Toyota Tacoma

Asheville. NC

Don't postpone joy!

On 8/6/2020 at 10:43 PM, Tee Jay said:

Get the Truckers Atlas from Rand McNally. 

I tried the Truckers Atlas but found there were too many missing grades.  I found Mountain Directory to be superior.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

I'll second (third?) the Mountain Directory. Have both east and west editions and use them all the time. It's not the grades that scare me, though - it's cliffs and big drop-offs. Ever meet an acrophobic pilot? (Doesn't bother me in an aircraft.)

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg