Replacing Skylights Questions

I'm planning to replace both skylight domes on my 2004 Southwind and found a manufacturer called EZ Tops (www.eztopsworldwide.com). Their domes look good and the price is right, but their website seems to suggest that rather than screwing the domes to the roof, you should simply tape them down using Eternabond. Has anyone done this? On the one hand it sounds like a simple process without the need to drill new holes. On the other hand - taping down the skylight?

Second question:
If I go with another brand that does need to be screwed into the roof, can/should I use Dicor Self-leveling Lap sealant, or do I need to get a skylight specific caulk?

Let the opinions fly! 

2004 Fleetwood Southwind 37A

Retired and loving it!

www.milesandsmiles.us

event.png

1 hour ago, MilesAndSmiles said:

can/should I use Dicor Self-leveling Lap sealant, or do I need to get a skylight specific caulk?

When I replaced ours, I did exactly as the original skylight was installed. I first put down a ring of butyl putty tape and then placed the skylight and screwed it down. The last step was to seal it all with Dicor caulking. All RVs that I have ever worked on have the same type of butyl tape under each thing which covers an opening in the roof or side wall. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk is right on with his post. The company that repalced the roof on our Teton before we got it, just put skylight cover down, put screws in it and sealed it with Dicor. Fought leaks till I went to remove it and found that. But I don't like the heat or cold it lets in.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

We've replaced all three sky lights in our trailer.  When removing the old ones, we found the screws had been over tightened and caused a stress crack, which migrated and leaked.  We also found that when they caulked around the light, the caulk made a dam, or puddle, which guaranteed that if there were a crack, the water would find it's way inside.

We put down the tape, carefully screwed down the light, but not so tight as to deform the area around the screw, then sparingly caulked each screw head and around the perimeter, leaving some low spots for drains.  So far, so good.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net