After Windows 10 upgrade, do these seven things immediately

RV_

Excerpt:

"You've just upgraded to the most recent version of Windows 10. Before you get back to work, use this checklist to ensure that your privacy and security settings are correct and that you've cut annoyances to a bare minimum.

Full version upgrades to a Windows PC used to be rare: Most people only had to deal with an upgrade once every three to five years, and then typically as part of the process of buying a new PC.

Now, in the "Windows as a service" era, you can expect a feature update (essentially a full version upgrade) roughly every six months. And although you can skip a feature update or even two, you can't wait longer than about 18 months.

If you're setting up a new PC or doing a clean install of Windows 10 on older hardware, follow the instructions in How to set up a new Windows 10 PC perfectly in one hour or less.

For upgrades, the process is considerably simpler. After about an hour (more or less, depending on the underlying hardware), you should be back at work, with most apps and settings migrated successfully.

In either case, clean install or upgrade, use this checklist to make sure you've covered some important bases that aren't part of Windows Setup. Note: All of these steps have been tested with the Windows 10 May 2019 Update (version 1903) and the Windows 10 October 2019 Update (version 1909)."

The checklist with all the hotlinks us here:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/after-windows-10-upgrade-do-these-seven-things-immediately/?ftag=TREc64629f&bhid=22078230483476385315599228605251&mid=12885683&cid=2210234375

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

In my opinion, a few of these recommendations are best suited for a person who is employed by a company with a well staffed IT department.  Some of these suggestions are not so good for the individual user.  For instance, I always use a local account.  If someone has physical access to your computer, a Microsoft account (even with 2 factor turned on) will not prevent them from full use of your computer.  In the mean time a MS account will allow Microsoft more access to your private data.  Did I mention that Microsoft's invasive (lack of) privacy policy was the final straw for me to move (almost) completely to another operating system?

Likewise, I feel that Bitlocker is more of a problem than a solution.  Data loss is a far larger concern that hard drive security.  Bitlocker will drastically complicate data recovery when a hard drive fails.

Connecting other accounts to your MS account is a single point of failure.  Doing this is convenient, but can allow malware access to your other accounts as well.  You certainly do not want some bad actor having access to your email account.  That is a recipe for disaster.   I can just see them logging into your bank or credit card and saying "I forgot my password.  Please send a reset link to my email".

I believe the best practice is to make frequent backups of your important data, maintain physical control of your computer, and concentrate your security efforts to online activities where you are the most vulnerable.  All of my personal, sensitive, private data resides on one computer that never leaves my house or RV.  I have a second laptop that has NO personal or private data on it that I can take to the clubhouse or wherever.

As I said, these are my opinions as they apply to the typical reader of this forum.   A traveling businessman with a company laptop is a different story.

Safe Travels (or not)...

Edited by k4rs

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Roger I agree in most cases. But as you know I am on Facecrook now and even Twitter. Both of which I swore I'd never use. In a pinch I needed an email when we moved because we used the cable Internet provider free email which was as secure as any, until laws were changed to let them not only read and track all our online activities, but they are allowed to take that without our permission, they are not even required to ask. And, our Internet providers are allowed to sell our info without reducing our charges or sharing one penny, and then they raise our prices claiming their maintenance and costs go up when in fact they have to replace few lines annually and charge us for any maintenance they used to do for free. As well there are state level laws that prevents competition because folks rarely research the state laws they vote on depending on the ones writing them to be honest.

Here, like everywhere, when a person leaves a job or online social network like here, it is like taking your finger out of a bucket of water. There are barely ripples, then it settles down like it was never there.

I will be reducing my online presence and can reverse all those cross connections. I'm in Colorado now, and like RVing to new places, it will take the years to visit all we want just here. I bought MS Office 365 military family pack with 5 or six computers authorized. It is only on one computer. I used Libre Office for a bit next to Office 2010 Pro last year. I was shocked when I used Office 365. The ribbon was all moved around and was much harder to use than Libre, so goodbye MS Office. I could use Cinnamon but not at this time. I don't have time at 68 to do all I still want to do. And unless I am incapacitated, I am not spending the rest of my life with no RW and indoors. (No, I do not like online on my phones, not even emails.) I tell folks to call me voice not text. So there goes that time waster. I still have my health if the virus doesn't get me. So our security will get back to where I was or close. We will still have email, and be online for some things. after the Pandemic eases up completely and/or we have good vaccines for it.

So roger, we are in agreement. But for the younger crowds on Windows and social networks they could use the awareness even if they don't do all of them.

Ed Bott is my all time favorite Windows tech author followed by Mary Foley who I stopped reading a few years back as she is more targeting developers etc.

I hope you and your family all are well and healthy.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire