Purchasing RV in different state

My wife and I are in Tennessee and we are looking at purchasing an RV in a different state to get the best deal. Question I pose to the forum is this:  Has anyone previously done this and how does the warranty issues work if you buy it from a dealer that is not local to your area?  Do you have to find a dealer willing to service the RV through the manufacturer?

Thanks for the help,

Rick and Michele

Richard and Michele

2021 Coachmen Leprechaun 311FS

8851-John-Muir-Quote-The-mountains-are-calling-and-I-must-go2.jpg

I live in New Jersey and bought my MH in Indiana. What you will find is that local dealers will generally:

1. Tell you straight out they will not work on your RV because you did not buy it from them. (and they can its not like the Automobile world)

2. Agree to work on it but you are a low priority because they will work on "Their" customers rigs first.

3. They will work on your rig and everyone will be happy!

Now you can go to your local dealers and ask what they would do? 1. 2. or 3. and hope they give you an honest answer.

You can also contact the manufacturer and they will know (usually) who, in your area, will preform Warranty or other work on your rig.

2019 Thor ARIA 3901: 2019 Jeep Wrangler:

21 minutes ago, Grizz1 said:

I live in New Jersey and bought my MH in Indiana. What you will find is that local dealers will generally:

1. Tell you straight out they will not work on your RV because you did not buy it from them. (and they can its not like the Automobile world)

2. Agree to work on it but you are a low priority because they will work on "Their" customers rigs first.

3. They will work on your rig and everyone will be happy!

Now you can go to your local dealers and ask what they would do? 1. 2. or 3. and hope they give you an honest answer.

You can also contact the manufacturer and they will know (usually) who, in your area, will preform Warranty or other work on your rig.

Thanks for the input definitely something to consider.

Richard and Michele

2021 Coachmen Leprechaun 311FS

8851-John-Muir-Quote-The-mountains-are-calling-and-I-must-go2.jpg

25 minutes ago, sandsys said:

We were nowhere near our dealer one time when we needed warranty work. We called the manufacturer and they told us where to take it. Easy peasy.

Linda Sand

The same for us.  We bought in Oregon and never returned to that dealer.  It might depend on the manufacturer as to how you would be treated with other dealers.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We have purchased from an out of state dealer before and had somewhat the same issue as Grizz1 and have also had a case where it was no serious problem. The problem situation was one where we had shopped the local dealer and the one in the nest state sold for about 10% less then the local guy. The first time it was in for a minor issue nobody knew us and it went fine, but once he discovered who owned it, I got really shabby treatment. Once we went fulltime and were in a place where they knew no different that problem went away. 

While the dealers are reimbursed for expenses of warranty work, in many cases that is at a lower labor rate than is charged to other customers. For warranty work on your appliances you do not need to go to a dealer who sells the brand that you have but can go to any authorized service center for the brand of appliance that you have. Nearly all RV shops and many mobile service techs can do warranty repairs for companies like Dometic, Atwood, Suburban, and the various vendors who supply the components in your RV and so you can get work from most of them. I have found that service only shops and mobile RV techs are generally better qualified for service and perform better work. About the only thing that I return an RV to the dealer that I purchased from is for structural things that are RV manufacturer specific. A refrigerator, furnace, water heater, or other appliance can go almost anywhere. Most RVs only have a 1 year warranty for the parts that are exclusive to the RV manufacturer. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI