Newbie - Stream with Hotspot or Satellite?

2 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

You can use a 30 amp adapter and plug a 50 amp RV into a 30 amp socket to get around a park's 50 amp surcharge.  Doesn't make it right.

I think this is a bad example to make your point.  I've checked into several RV parks which charged extra for 50 amp service.  I've told them I had a 50 amp RV, but didn't need but the 30 amp outlet.  Every one of them responded that if I wasn't plugged into the 50 amp outlet, I didn't need to pay for 50 amp service. 

After all, if you're plugged into the 30 amp outlet, you can't use the extra electricity provided by a 50 amp outlet.  The whole point of them charging more for a 50 amp outlet is because you can use more electricity through it, as in running two a/c and water heater and microwave, etc. at the same time.

6 hours ago, docj said:

To my knowledge the only effective way to monitor this would be to observe the TTL values of network packets.  I suspect this is more complex than it is worth to Visible.  Many users will just assume the "one device" limitation is real and won't try to find a way around it.  The more technologically sophisticated user will realize it is pretty much a toothless warning.  Furthermore, if they were to do TTL monitoring,  I gather there are ways around that, also.

FWIW, although I've not done it myself, I know that some people have used Visible SIMs in unapproved devices.  Simple SIM swapping doesn't work because Visible has its own APN, but, to my knowledge, if you use the correct APN it will work---for a while at least!

Joel (AKA docj)

My Visible SIM was in a Novatel 6620L Jetpack for several months, and I just transferred it to a 7730L yesterday. It works fine as you say with the correct APN. So far Visible apparently hasn't been concerned that I'm only using one of their three unlimited services in an unapproved device. The worst they can do is shut my account down if they decide they don't want my money any more. Of course I could then be back on their service in a few days with another account. Being a prepaid service there's no contractual issues to be concerned with either.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

4 hours ago, docj said:

Then the same reasoning should be applied to those who use AT&T Mobley Connected Car devices in other than their vehicles or in modems other than the Mobley.  As I recall some of them may have even responded to this thread.

Quite honestly, I can't imagine people being upset about "taking advantage" of a cellular carrier.  After the way the carriers have routinely changed the groundrules on customers with respect to plans, prices, features, I personally can't get worked up about using what they provide in whatever manner I can.  That being said, I don't intend to use my Visible SIM in an unsupported device because that is something the carrier is more likely to prevent.

Actually, AT&T's TOS for the original Mobley doesn't say that the SIM can't be used in a different hotspot. According to the AT&T top level techs I've spoken with, as long as the SIM is used in a hotspot class device it's ok with the company. My online account even shows that I'm currently using a Unite Explore 815S and I've taken it to an AT&T store for a SIM replacement with no problems. On the various RV and cell forums, the only posts I've seen regarding someone losing their Connected Car account for moving the SIM were folks that put it in a phone instead of a hotspot. Mine has been in a couple of different hotspots for about three years now.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system