I bought a furrion vision s observation system camera.. The install directions are vague.  Everything I read on the internet covers installing on a rig that is pre rigged for the camera and basically  just plug and play. In my case My rig is not pre rigged. Questions for some of you more informed folks is

can I just remove the center of the 3 running lights upper center of the back of rig snip the wires and connect? Or would it be better to mount above or below the running lights  drill hole and try to fish  the wires out.   I did remove one lens and see both wires to the light are black. The wires on the camera 12 volt connection is one red one black being both wires to the light are both black does it matter which is which?

Im wanting to get on the road next week and hoping to get this set up.

thanks for any info you canshare with me

George 

Edited by George the greek
spelling

The answer depends on how the running lights are wired, but if that does work it will mean that the camera will turn on and off with those lights. Your camera needs a source of +12V and the other should be chassis ground. The wire to your running lights should be one +12 and the other ground but I have see running light groups in series as well. I would first remove the center light and use a volt/ohm meter to verify that you have the +12 & ground needed before I did anything more. Do the instructions say which camera lead is which? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Update  I finally found a U tube video that dealt with installing from scratch not pre rigged.  It gave me e3nough of an idea   that this morning before it got too hot out I got it done. after pulling more wire out I did see the green and white and then knew which was hot and which was neutral   used test light  to make sure. Took  about an hour and a half because I didn't have the right size wire nuts had to go get a couple.  

On 5/2/2020 at 6:02 AM, Kirk W said:

The answer depends on how the running lights are wired, but if that does work it will mean that the camera will turn on and off with those lights. Your camera needs a source of +12V and the other should be chassis ground. The wire to your running lights should be one +12 and the other ground but I have see running light groups in series as well. I would first remove the center light and use a volt/ohm meter to verify that you have the +12 & ground needed before I did anything more. Do the instructions say which camera lead is which? 

Thanks for the reply Kirk W.. I decided I wanted all 3 running (marker) lights working so I mounted the  observation / back up camera 2' inches below the middle light..

I drilled a 1/2" hole and rubber grommet to run new wires through the siding for protection then tied into existing harness. There is good 12 volt power and ground there.  

The wireless monitor in in the cab of my truck plugs into the 12 volt power center and works good after pairing.

Yes I do need to have marker lights lit for unit to operate , but I generally have them on when running.

oh yes about the only thing that was clear in the instructions  was red wire is hot  and black is ground.  

G the G 

Edited by George the greek
forgot something

13 hours ago, George the greek said:

oh yes about the only thing that was clear in the instructions  was red wire is hot  and black is ground.  

Since this is a wireless camera system, let us know how it works out after you travel some with it. I believe that they have improved but some still have doubts about their reliability with RF interference. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We have the Vision S installed with the power connected to the top center running light on the back of the fiver. When the running lights are on, the camera is on. We've also not had any issues with the signal dropping on a 35 (previously 36) foot fifth wheel with a long-bed, crew cab truck.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 9:14 AM, Second Chance said:

We have the Vision S installed with the power connected to the top center running light on the back of the fiver. When the running lights are on, the camera is on. We've also not had any issues with the signal dropping on a 35 (previously 36) foot fifth wheel with a long-bed, crew cab truck.

Rob

Thats pretty much what I did found hot and ground wire on middle running light on back it works well i do wish for a larger monitor screen though

On 5/4/2020 at 6:27 AM, Kirk W said:

Since this is a wireless camera system, let us know how it works out after you travel some with it. I believe that they have improved but some still have doubts about their reliability with RF interference. 

Ive traveled from New mexico to Wisconsin the long way. This unit worked well no issues I just wish the monitors screen was larger