Camping in Sedona

Hi, would appreciate any info you may have.  We are boondocking in Sedona in a few weeks.  We hope to find a spot.  We are traveling from San Clemente Ca and want to arrive at a quick spot the night before we head up to find boondocking spot.  As members of Elks, I called and she was very unhelpful.  If that is not available, does anyone know any place to stay nearby?  Not an RV park. Just a quick overnight spot. Any good experience would be helpful on this topic.  Our first time boondocking there.   Thank you in advance!

Howdy!

I don’t know about Sedona but there are some I believe BLM boondocking just outside of the Thousands Trails Verde Valley in Cottonwood, AZ.  They are located at 6400 E. Thousand Trails Rd, Cottonwood, AZ 86326. 
We always stay at the Verde Valley TT’s and have noticed people boondocking in the area going in.

” Happy Trails”

Chiefneon 

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

You might try "Deer Pass Trailhead" on Hwy 89A, 10 miles South of the 89A-179 intersection.   Quiet Boondocking, with a great view.   Also, we have boondocked at the BLM land outside of Verde Valley TT Park.... Great boondocking - But, I have heard that the BLM has closed the area.   I can point to no reference to search, just in my mind.

Edited by Jim & Alice

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

The BLM land at the entrance of Thousand Trails is now closed.  Be careful where in set up camp in the area as there are a lot of restrictions, especially in the Red Rock District.  There's also Coconino Nat'l Forest and BLM lands outside of the Red Rock District.  It's best to stop at Sedona's Visitor Center for up-to-date information and purchasing the Red Rock Pass.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Here is a link to a discussion of boondocking in the Sedona/Cottonwood area. You will note that the land outside the Thousand Trails is part of the Prescott National Forest not the Coconino National Forest or BLM. This is important because each Forest has its own special rules regarding boondocking as does BLM.

When we were in the area in September, overnight stays were still prohibited at the Walmart in Cottonwood which was the result of a shootout between vehicle campers and the police in the parking lot a few years ago. 

As discussed in this link. If you have an America the Beautiful Senior Pass, you do not need a Red Rock Pass.

Any America the Beautiful Interagency Pass, Golden Age, and Golden Access are accepted and honored in lieu of the Red Rock Pass for Forest recreation in Red Rock Country. This also includes admission to the very popular Red Rock Country Heritage Sites: Palatki Ruins and Rock Art site, Honanki Ruins site and V-Bar-V Heritage site.

Edited by trailertraveler