Jump to content

Thousand Trails Membership Weirdness...


aztex

Recommended Posts

Hi,

Considering a new coach and one of the perks is a free year pass at TT. I received a free 1 year trial with my last RV purchase and went to the TT site to if that was basically a once in a lifetime deal and to check availability of some sites I may venture towards if it works out.

Well it seems there is a $748 balance on my account! Sunday night and cant call but a little concerned. NO emails or correspondence from them since my trial expired Jan 1....

Actually I got one "renew for $100 off" but no mention of a past due....

 

Any one ever see this?

 

Thanks!

Edited by aztex
spelling
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, aztex said:

Hi,

Considering a new coach and one of the perks is a free year pass at TT. I received a free 1 year trial with my last RV purchase and went to the TT site to if that was basically a once in a lifetime deal and to check availability of some sites I may venture towards if it works out.

Well it seems there is a $748 balance on my account! Sunday night and cant call but a little concerned. NO emails or correspondence from them since my trial expired Jan 1....

Actually I got one "renew for $100 off" but no mention of a past due....

 

Any one ever see this?

 

Thanks!

Balance? or balance due??

 

 
 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Took me an hour to find it. Had to log out and start a new membership. The links don't want to work until you enter payment information BUT you have to agree to the terms which they hide from you!

Found this: "On each Anniversary Date, the term of your membership in the Program will automatically renew for a period of one-year, unless, at least 30 days before the applicable Anniversary Date:"

 

This message is NOT on the site per se. It's on a PDF you download about policies. There is nothing on ones membership page about this. You can not find this policy by simply browsing the web site.

They never informed me in writing or email there would be an automatic renewal. I had gotten on the road and not used the membership since May of last year. When I last spoke with the they were trying to sell me the lifetime upgrade and I explained I had sold my RV and was no longer interested in a membership.

Isn't there some law where you have to actually get a bill or notification? I just found this by luck!

I'll keep you posted...

 

[EDIT]

I scoured my emails and all I can find are "hurry and renew and save $150" Not one mention of automatic renewal. 

Edited by aztex
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Many companies do that these days, especially on the internet' As as you revealed; it's in the fine print most of the time.

 

 

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lots of membership parks  are automatic renewal unless you notify at least 30 days before - and somewhere when you first signed up for it, you agreed to do just that.  I'm sorry that you didn't realize it at the time.  That said, tell the dealer that since you already have this membership, have them deduct the cost from the purchase price and then use the parks for the coming year with your new rig.  And then if you don't like it, in December send them a written letter stating that you are not renewing.   BTW, I always get a snail mail renewal of our zone pass in late October, it renews in December.  So they do send out the renewal notices. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nah...

When I sold my coach I was in contact with TT about a lifetime membership. They called and I explained I was done for now cancel my membership and never used it again.

Here's all I have received from them:

 

"Your complimentary membership will expire soon, but this isn’t goodbye! Now’s the time to ensure the adventure continues. For a limited time, you can renew your Camping Pass and receive $150 off! That’s more than 25% off the standard rate! Enjoy all of the remaining time on your current Camping Pass and keep the adventure going by adding another year onto your membership."

BTW... I signed up by phone so never signed any contract. My guess a glitch based on above email and lack of any attempt to send me a bill or solicit payment in any form.

 

Find out tomorrow ... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whether you knew it or not, when you accepted the 'free' membership, it came with an automatic renewal.  And somewhere in the paperwork you received, was the notice that on the website were the policies that you've agreed to abide by when you accepted the membership.    Not defending it, just saying this is common in the membership park business.  We use our membership extensively since we travel mainly on the west coast.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Whether you knew it or not, when you accepted the 'free' membership, it came with an automatic renewal.  And somewhere in the paperwork you received, was the notice that on the website were the policies that you've agreed to abide by when you accepted the membership.    Not defending it, just saying this is common in the membership park business.  We use our membership extensively since we travel mainly on the west coast.

Speaking with TT this morning they canceled it as a free trial does not come with the auto renewal! Just a glitch it seems. I can also use another "free trial" that would come with a new coach.

We double checked my contact and all was accurate. They said I would have received a phone call about the automatic renewal....

Anyways... TT gets enough bad press, deserved or not, for people who sign up for the "lifetime" membership and feel stuck. Whike they were forth coming in their sales pitch to me I can see how one could get stuck for a time and have to bite the bullet.

That said coupling the possibility of more disgruntled customers by auto renewal and NO notifications of such is just tempting fate in the internet age where a complaint can go MUCH farther...

If Escapees has a page that recommends services I would hope there are some dire warnings about TT and how to deal with them! Is there such a page?

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Bill Ruslink said:

TT memberships automatically renew, at the current annual rate, unless you notify them IN WRITING to cancel a minimum of 30 days in advance.

Yep..well..

This is tailored to rip people off. I deal with several subscription services and none use this tactic. When signing up for one year what you've done is sign up for two years with an option to cancel the second year...

I was enduring the lifetime sales pitch when I got off the road and explained the circumstances to the rep. I basically canceled at that time but at no point did thy bring up the auto renewal. It must be a policy, they must figure they have enough of a legal foot hold and if they get your credit card number you'll never see it back. I'm sure they line their pockets with quite a few people who opt out but forget about it.

Last thing they want to do it let you know they have you by the short hairs...

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

AZTEX,

TT does send out renewal notices  for dues every year.  I told you that before.  As you noted above, there was a glitch in their system on a 'free' membership.  Yes, years ago TT had legal problems over the 'life-time' contracts.  Yes, people still believe they are stuck (false) with lifetime dues because of old tales that never seem to go away, or because they signed a PURCHASE contract that is required to be paid off before they can cancel the membership.     

Thousands of people belong to TT and get value out of it, follow the rules, and  especially for full timers on the west coast save thousands of dollars each year in park costs.   Your denigration of all TT members is a little overboard, don't you think?   

 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

AZTEX,

TT does send out renewal notices  for dues every year.  I told you that before.  As you noted above, there was a glitch in their system on a 'free' membership.  Yes, years ago TT had legal problems over the 'life-time' contracts.  Yes, people still believe they are stuck (false) with lifetime dues because of old tales that never seem to go away, or because they signed a PURCHASE contract that is required to be paid off before they can cancel the membership.     

Thousands of people belong to TT and get value out of it, follow the rules, and  especially for full timers on the west coast save thousands of dollars each year in park costs.   Your denigration of all TT members is a little overboard, don't you think?   

 

BARBAROK

I received NO contact, no letter, no email, no phone number. I told you that before

I think a glitch but I was lucky to find the balance so I could act on it before it was sent to collections....

I do not like auto renewals and feel they should be illegal. It's a simple matter to make firm contact with a client and set up a new deal yearly and let subscriptions lapse should be the default.... Auto renewal ONLY benefits the companies not the clients.

YMMV

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
RVers Online University

mywaggle.com

campgroundviews.com

RV Destinations

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.

RVTravel.com Logo



×
×
  • Create New...