OT: 2013 Smart Radiator Fan

autoshift

18 hours ago, autoshift said:

We have a rumbling/vibration from the radiator fan.
Has anyone replaced the radiator fan?
Did you use dealer or after market fan?
Any tips on installing it?

Hi Auto shift,

I have done this twice so here are your options.

1. Have the fan motor replaced. This is NOT a DIY job. It is a $300 part $400 in from the front of the car. Everything has to come off including the AC. And then everything has to go back together. Getting the front off is the easy part. That takes 45 minutes if you have never done it and 2 people to lift it clear. Not heavy just bulky.

2. Pull off the front end (have to do this either way). I did this. Then you get a pusher type fan and put it on the outside of the radiator. Unplug the fan motor and wire the the new one. Try very hard not to cut off the plug because if things don't work out they will need the plug to hook up the new fan. Now here comes the tricky part and I probably should not admit this but I'm over my embarrassment now. Everything went pretty well until I built the mounting brackets for the pusher fan. During this I APPARENTLY ran a screw through a line that is hidden inside the frame. I did not care for how some things set so I removed a screw and coolant started leaking out. SO, I ended up taking it to a shop and they had to replace everything (just like in option 1 above) plus the evaporator (I think that is the part). Everything works fine now.

So, when I have to do this the next time (and there will be a next time) I'll just go straight to option 1 and pay the bill. Figure on about $1100.  

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.