Best Products and items for pulling a travel trailer with a Tahoe

Joshb

1 hour ago, Joshb said:

The trailer I’m looking at is 24’ and 5100 lbs. What all items/products would you recommend to help with sway, leveling, etc?

Is that the loaded weight as it will be when ready to travel or is it the empty weight? If you aren't used the GVWR for the loaded vehicle you will be pushing the maximum when you tow. You need to get a quality equalizer hitch to tow with. Do you want the very best regardless of cost or do you want the best inexpensive equipment? There is a wide range in prices. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

9 minutes ago, Joshb said:

The gvwr is 7100 lbs. I guess I would prefer whatever would be the best for towing safely regardless of price. 5100 is dry weight.  

If the GVWR of the TT is 7,100 lbs., you will be over the capabilities of the Tahoe - especially in the payload area. It's not just what the TV can "tow," it's how much payload the TV has for occupants, fuel, cargo, hitch (and a good weight-distributing hitch weighs around 100 lbs.) and the trailer tongue weight.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

17 minutes ago, Second Chance said:

If the GVWR of the TT is 7,100 lbs., you will be over the capabilities of the Tahoe - especially in the payload area. It's not just what the TV can "tow," it's how much payload the TV has for occupants, fuel, cargo, hitch (and a good weight-distributing hitch weighs around 100 lbs.) and the trailer tongue weight.

Rob

I’m sorry that gvwr is for the Tahoe. The 5100 is the dry weight of the trailer. 

42 minutes ago, Joshb said:

I’m sorry that gvwr is for the Tahoe. The 5100 is the dry weight of the trailer. 

As previously stated, forget the dry weight of the trailer. Use the GVWR of the trailer (and 10 - 12% of the trailer's GVWR for tongue weight). Look at the door sticker on the Tahoe for payload ("Maximum weight of passengers and cargo not to exceed...), and go from there. Nobody ever hits the road with an empty trailer.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

• 4 months later...

We towed a 24' 4700lb ALJO trailer with our 2004 tahoe. We had a good weight distribution hitch and a sway break. It was a great set up. We used that trailer for 5 years before selling it. Not a single issue with either.

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired