Dometic Penguin II problem E5 code

oletimer

2016 SpaceCraft has been setting most of the summer either here at home or at the factory.  Got it picked up from the factory a couple months ago, and "she" started the cleanup with the AC on.  It worked fine, then it set in the barn for about a month, and again, "she" wanted to do a re-clean(???) then load for the winter.  AC wouldn't work, and got the E5 error code, which means a bad freeze sensor, or an open circuit.  No RV repair in the area, and after research I guess either the sensor or the board is bad.  I was wondering if I could just wire the 2 wires on the sensor to gather and check the sensor that way, or would that fry the board.  Dometic was no help.  I not trying to be "cheap" just trying to order the correct part so I could get cool. Hate to deadhead a couple hundred miles, got too much work to do.  Thanks for any thoughts.   Dick T. 

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

Depends, some freeze sensors are a switch mounted on the coils, some are a thermocouple, some are an RTD. A switch can be shorted to test, the other two can't. Shouldn't hurt anything to try, though. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

On perusing the parts sites, it looks like you have 2 types to choose from. One looks like a hearing aid, and is a switch. The other looks like a pencil, and could be either a thermocouple or RTD. If you can follow the wiring to the device, order the one to match. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Thanks Darryl, I have the sensor removed, and it is the thermocouple type.  I had also looked on the parts sites the other day, and found the one that looks just like mine, but has a different part number.  I'll give it a try. 

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650