full-timers insurance for 5th wheel/med. duty truck

I have seen a number of recommendations for full timers insurance.  Based on previous experience, I recommend you pay serious attention to the policy details.  Many supposedly full timers policies are very poor when it comes to issues of liability and theft protection.  Theft coverage is often provided through a homeowners policy so many RV policies include little or no coverage.  Even for a homeowner, liability coverage often means that you will need a separate "umbrella" policy.

Next I warn the buyer about going by the coverage that others think they have.  First they are often wrong and second policies vary by the vendor and by the State where they were issued.  For South Dakota, we found National Interstate was one of the few companies with comprehensive coverage; however, we still needed an umbrella policy. 

We just went with National General.  They gave us a tremendous rate for the Volvo and DRV.  We went back and forth on the coverage limits until we finally settled.  Make sure you SEE full timers on your quote.  Even though we asked for it we got a vacation quote back the first time.  Also make sure you are comfortable with your personal contents coverage.  When you think about replacing just personal tech gear it adds up fast.  National General also offers a significant discount to Good Sam's members.  It was worth joining just for the insurance savings.

Archived