Child seats for RV

Markutovich

Hi I am Luis from Spain, I am going to travel with my family to USA and we have rented a motorhome. I am quite worried about my child's security (  1 and 2 years old). I have read quite a lot, and seems that the RVs are not prepared for good security in the rear seats. The company (Roadbear) tell my that the RV has 2 point belt system ( lap belt) in the rear area. They provide me a tether anchor ( for extra security) to use with one child seat, but they tell me it is not possible to put another tether anchor. 

I have some questions

- I plan to buy the child seats in a Walmart, but I don't know what kind of child seat can fit with 2 point belt systems. I would like to buy the chair online so I need to know before arriving USA.

- it seems that the RV has a table where I guess I can attach the chairs, in the same seat as they are big enough to host 2 seats. 

- the chairs shall be in the direction of the drive, like the driver?? Or back position??

- the company tell me that depend on the State, the law is different, what can be the differences? Cause if I attached the child seats properly, should be no problem

Thanks in advance

luis & family

What type of RV are you renting? If it is a class C motorhome, which is the most commonly rented type, there will likely be a dinette with a table and two bench seats, one faced forward on one side of the table and one facing rear on the other side. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWhGK2OWqUqlhPFCPUh0E             images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaNJcyNZaI538JOBDMrUd

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If you are renting an RV for your holiday ask the rental company if they rent car seats too. If they do just rent two car seats with the RV and have them installed before you pick it up. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I don't believe you can travel with two kids that young in a Roadbear motorhome. Roadbear says they will only provide one tether yet you require two according to the National Highway Travel and Safety Administration. https://www.nhtsa.gov/equipment/car-seats-and-booster-seats. It is illegal in the USA to travel with small children not properly secured. As a comment on Roadbear's site says, you and your children will not even be able to take a taxi from the airport to the pickup site for an RV without child safety seats.

If you can find a rental RV that provide two tethers, then one of you could wait at the airport with the kids while the other picks up the RV. You probably won't be able to drive the RV up to the regular airport arrival's gate, though, since your RV will likely be restricted to the oversize vehicle lot.

I'm sorry this is turning out to be such a hassle for you.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Archived