Overnight San Francisco

Markutovich

Hi, i need to overnight in SF for 3 night in my motorhome 25´ . I have been reading a lot and seems that you are allowed to park for 72 hours without be fined ( but i think you never know and for sure you can be fined, but dont know. How are the laws now???) . So i have find these spots for overnight

- Sausalito (my best place as it is quite near to SF downtown and seems a quite place to sleep)
- Golden Park ( i have read that it is a kind of RV community sleeping there)
- Rest area (crystal spring or Norh Golden Gate)
- Oackland industrial area
- Palo Alto

As i travel with my family i would like to find the best and safest place

hoping somebody can help me 

Thanks in advance

I can’t imagine finding a place that you could get any rest without worry of being hassled. The SF RV resort in Pacifica isn’t cheap but is right on the coast (I mean right on it, on a cliff) and easy access to train into downtown.  We are going there this weekend (think it is 80ish a night, which I understand is crazy expensive, but it is San Francisco after all)

I would not plan to park on the street to sleep in San Fransisco or any other large city that I was not familiar with. I suggest that you check out RV Park Reviews on the city to see what they have to offer.  You can also check with Campendium  to see what they list under free camping in California. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Hey Mark, we are the first by choice whenever possible, to avoid booking into a CG/RV Resort believe me, however, with everything I've googled and read about "stealth" camping from others that have done it in San Fran area it's a no go for us = typically solos in SUV's or minivans (so quite smaller vehicles) I personally am booking into the SF RV Resort or Marin Park for a couple nights.   Many have been banned after a few days to two weeks, knocks from sheriffs at 10pm, midnight and 5am in the morning, RV's broken into, tires stolen etc.   Neighbours tired of folks in RV's continually parked outside their highly property taxed Real Estate call the police consistently now, on those that are overnighting, not just parked!   No matter how careful you try to be not looking like camping, there's always tell tale signs, especially if there is more than one/two onboard.  Just saying, and to each their own always!

The nights prior to arrival in San Fran we are dry camping in the Davenport to Presiddo (2 mile stretch of pullouts on Cabrillo).   Check out Freecampsites.net for many other reviews.   On a 21 day trip including coming up the coast from San Diego, LA, etc, we are only booked in Santa Barbara 2 nights and San Fran 2 nights (arriving early to both to make the most of our time in those cities).   As expensive as these two places are it's worth it for the peace of mind we feel in this instance.   Safety should always be paramount priority we feel.

5 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

None of the places you mentioned are safe or legal.  You need to find a RV park.

+1   I frequent SF regularly, sometimes 8-10 weeks out of the year over the past 11 years, our corporate office is located there in the financial district.  I can't tell you the number of times I've seen even something as mundane or compact as a camper van being ticketed, or officer friendly discussions with the owners telling them they are too big to park; they have to find an appropriate parking place/rv park.  They've cracked down on it more in recent years, because of the housing cost problems and tech residents trying to do the whole van nomad living/camping lifestyle in packs that roam the parking lots and streets because they can't afford to rent anywhere else.

2007 Freightliner SportChassis RHA-114

2016 Heartland Road Warrior 420

pay the cost get into a rv park.

stay out of oakland. not safe.

any city in the bay area the local police will harass you. pending the officer and/or there work load.

yes bums tend to still do this, but you have money so expect a ticket.

along the 101 corador you can use caltrain sj to sf.

pacifica south on hwy 1 your car/ truck is the only way around.

might be limited bus.

marin county. used to be but the yuppys moved in, they got money and had bums baned.

Pacifica RV park, then take BART into S.F.

Marin RV Park in Greenbrae, it's a 15 minute walk to the Golden Gate Ferry across the inlet.  Take a scenic trip across the Bay that drops you off at the foot of Market St. in San Francisco.  Commute bus service into SF is also available from freeway pads practically in front of the park.

Both are pricey at $80-100 a night.  The Alameda County Fairgrounds is more reasonable, around $45-50 a night - not available during the fair June 15- July 8.  It's 3 1/2 miles from the Dublin/Pleasanton BART station, from there it's a 45 minute ride to downtown SF.

Archived