Got the Volvo out of the garage yesterday

Lance A Lott

I had to-get the truck out so I could use the lift. The 99 Ford Taurus didn't pass inspection, bad iner tie rod. The Volvo had one rear brake dragging so when I stopped in the soft dirt that's where it sat. This am the ground was frozen but it would only spin so I pushed down on the spinning side of the frame with the tractor bucket and was able to drive away . 

Now for the point of this post. Do any of you cage your brakes for long term storage? This winter I was able to park it in the garage but this may not always be the case. It will sit from thanksgiving to April.  The brakes tend to stick when it's not moved for a few weeks even in the summer. 

When the snow is all gone I hope to start the deck. I can't wait.

Sometimes they just get rusty. We have a couple trucks that don't get used very often so sometimes I will have to get the big hammer out. Release the brakes and block the wheels then crawl under there with a big hammer and smack the drum. Some guys will take a wooden shim and put it between the shoe and drum when they are parking for a long time. That way the parking brake will still hold but will not seize.

If its cold it might have froze up. Also use the big hammer. I only had to get the torch out to heat one once when the hammer didn't work.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

If you are that worried about them rusting/sticking to the drum then why not just release them? Use some wheel chocks instead. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

It seems to be the just one of them and I think it's in the s cam I will wait and see what the other axle does when I swap them.  I have never had any of the other air brake rigs stick like this one, but this has supper singles and the drum is exposed a lot more I didn't know if this was the different factor.

Archived