Brakes on DRV Elite Suites 38RSSA

s106300

Anyone else have issues with the brakes on their 2016 Elite Suites 38RSSA manufactured in the months PRIOR to the official recall? Brakes started acting up and upon inspection, DH determined linings are thin and calipers are damaged. Only 17K miles on the coach.similar experiences out there? 

2010 Volvo VNL 670 D13 500 HP Ishift - "THOR"

2016 DRV Elite Suites 38RSSA - "Freya"

2012 Smart For Two - "Loki"

Ron & Shelley Johnston, pilots

Toy, Nika, and Piranha, feline co-pilots and Demi-gods (at least if you ask them).

Sorry to hear of your brake woes. I do not have a DRV or disc brakes but am curious as to what the recall was for and what brand of disc brakes you have......Dexter, Kodiak or Titan ?  Caliper damage and excessive wear at 17k sure doesn't sound normal. What kind of caliper damage was there ? What were the symptoms that led you to suspect brake problems ?  Inquiring minds want to know ?  I hope you get this figured out and get back to enjoying your rig,        Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

The brake recall was for using the wrong bolts after the axle change to 9,000 pound axles and doesn't have anything to do with your issue.

You have the gain turned up too high on your brake controller and are depending on the trailer too much to stop your unit OR you have not serviced the caliper slide pins and they are sticking or dragging and not allowing the caliper pistons to retract.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

agreed with the above. Caliper pins need regular attention. I lost a brake pad on my DRV lasy year and never knew it with the big truck. Took out the caliper and the rotor. These brakes work really good but need attention. Mine are Kodiak, not sure on yours. 

I agree about the comment about the gain being too high. That being said you should check to assure the caliper assembly can be moved very slightly on the pins.  If not the pads are staying in constant contact with the disk.  Also what controller do you have?  If it is a Prodigy 3 there is an additional setting that allows the controller to compensate for the weight of the trailer.  If my memory serves me right there are 4 settings from truck heaver than trailer to trailer much heaver than truck. 

Although I only have a MDT I set the gain by driving about 30 and manually setting the trailer brakes.  I increase gain until I can feel a tug from the trailer when I apply the manual brake.  I then back it off 2 or 3 clicks.  Dick

DH talked to DRV this morning and their consensus was that the Kodak brakes only last 15 to 18K miles. We are 21K lbs. Dave, I don't think Ron was aware that he had to check the gain; not being used to a fifth wheel I think he was assuming brake longevity was akin to that of a car. DRV said they are actually a GM product off of a Buick Century. 

Toy, Nika, and Piranha, feline co-pilots and Demi-gods (at least if you ask them).

Since we are used to feeling the trailer brakes apply, we tend to tow with the gain too high when towing with a HDT. But first set of pads for my Kodiak brakes lasted less than a year. I replaced with ceramic pads from Oreilly. I run the gain much less now and they have lasted 2 years so far. I use a Direc Link controller and like that I can just tap a button to decrease gain for ice or rainy roads and increase it when roads are clear. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Thanks Ronbo - helpful. We also have the Direc Link Controller which has remained on the original setting. Just got a crash course in trailer brake maintenance. Heavy equipment shop in Soldotna, AK looking at it now; probably will have to order parts and getting them here will be an issue no doubt. At least it is a nice place to be "stuck". 

Ron I think DRV is blowing smoke.  Thank about it, some one who travels full time would need a brake job every 15. I doubt it. We have a 2016 39DBRS3 that weighs 21k has 15k on it and the pads still look great.  Just my opinion, but I would call Kodiak and ask them.  I know Kodiak and Dexter are two completely different companies, but our Hitch Hiker had 45k miles on it and the pads were less than half worn. Dick

Archived