Any experience with Carrier APU?

jeffw

I've got our truck at the Carrier dealer to get the APU a/c working. They had it a week ago and found the R-22 had leaked out. Apparently the hoses in these systems are well known for leaking.

They said it held a good vacuum and then charged it with 30.5oz of R-22. I picked it up and brought it home and when I tested it, the compressor would start and shut off right away. A while later I was able to get the compressor to run, but within a few minutes the coil under the bunk started to freeze up on the top 3 coils, and the rest were warm to the touch.

The shop is saying it seems like it needs more R-22, but it has the proper amount according to the manual.

Has anyone had any experience with an R-22 APU like this?

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Jeff,

We have a Carrier APU but it has been flawless so far on heat or cooling. I had longer hoses added to get to the top of the drom box that required more coolant but the tech just watched the pressures and measured how much was added without a problem.

I would take it back to them or find another AC tech to look at it.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I was talking to a trucker about his Tri Pac apu and he said he wished he had kept the Carrier apu from his old truck and put it on the new truck.  He felt that the Carrier headed and cooled better.     Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

They added based on weight (30.5oz) after the system was in vacuum. I don't know if they've looked at pressures. I'm wondering if the manual is wrong.

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Archived