Cummins 5.9L vs. 6.7L

My wife and I have been thinking about upgrading our truck - 2006 Dodge 2500 CTD.  Having just purchased the new TT, I'm wanting to invest in a truck bed canopy; but don't want to do so if we're going to get a new (used) truck. We would like a long bed and a Laramie for the nice interior comforts. To any forum member who has towed with both the 5.9L and the 6.7L engines, I'd be curious how much difference you found in overall tow capability - stock w/o any upgrades.

We have a 2016 2500 TB with a 5.9L and the 6.7L engine.  We had a 2004 Ram TD.  Huge difference. The newer truck sits up higher but only had to drop the ball hitch one notch.  We live in a small mountainous area and features mainly flat roads with some rolling hills and the occasional mountain to climb (Magazine, Nebo and Petit Jean).  Halfway up Nebo's switchbacks and I had to make sure the TT was still behind me.  Nothing like the old truck.  However, with the '16 there are many comfort features of the '04 that I miss.

14 hours ago, Mr. Camper said:

We have a 2016 2500 TB with a 5.9L and the 6.7L engine.  We had a 2004 Ram TD.  Huge difference. The newer truck sits up higher but only had to drop the ball hitch one notch.  We live in a small mountainous area and features mainly flat roads with some rolling hills and the occasional mountain to climb (Magazine, Nebo and Petit Jean).  Halfway up Nebo's switchbacks and I had to make sure the TT was still behind me.  Nothing like the old truck.  However, with the '16 there are many comfort features of the '04 that I miss.

I presume you mean your 2016 2500 has the 6.7L and your 2004 had the 5.9L?  How do you like the integral exhaust brake?  That came out in the 2007 model year - a really great feature. My 2006 5.9L is rated at 325HP and 610 ft-lb., the 2007 6.7L was 350HP and 650 ft-lb. 

Your 2016, 2500 is likely 370HP and 800 ft-lb (assuming it is auto trans); that is quite an increase from a 2004.  The 2014 model year, in the 3500 series, introduced the Aisin transmission and that 6.7L (automatic) produces 385HP and 850 ft-lb.  That is year/configuration I'm looking into.  But 3500 SRW's are more difficult to find, there are many more 2500 series.  Those have the 68RFE yielding 370HP and 800 ft-lb. 

If we end up keeping this truck, I may opt to have an aftermarket system such as BullyDog added.  We will be using the TT in the rocky mountain west - where head winds and steep grades are common.

You are correct.  (Never post a comment when you are in bed with a fever).  We bought the truck in November and only this spring have had the chance to hitch up the TT and make the adjustments for all terrain towing.  Ours is an automatic transmission.  We won't be going outside of the Midwest this summer but what we've done in the Tri-Peaks area here gives me a good feeling on the Western States trip next year.  Very early now and time for a nap.

12 hours ago, freestoneangler said:

I presume you mean your 2016 2500 has the 6.7L and your 2004 had the 5.9L?  How do you like the integral exhaust brake?  That came out in the 2007 model year - a really great feature. My 2006 5.9L is rated at 350HP and 610 ft-lb., the 2007 6.7L was 350HP and 650 ft-lb. 

Your 2016, 2500 is likely 370HP and 800 ft-lb (assuming it is auto trans); that is quite an increase from a 2004.  The 2014 model year, in the 3500 series, introduced the Aisin transmission and that 6.7L (automatic) produces 385HP and 850 ft-lb.  That is year/configuration I'm looking into.  But 3500 SRW's are more difficult to find, there are many more 2500 series.  Those have the 68RFE yielding 370HP and 800 ft-lb. 

If we end up keeping this truck, I may opt to have an aftermarket system such as BullyDog added.  We will be using the TT in the rocky mountain west - where head winds and steep grades are common.

Actually the 2007 had the 5.9 with no exhaust brake and the 2007 1/2 had the 6.7 WITH the exhaust brake.  I purchased a 2007 5.9 when new but the 2007 1/2 trucks were on the lot and available.  I don't like 1st year on engines/transmissions so I went 5.9 and LOVED it especially after adding PacBrake exhaust brake and Super Chips (after warranty timed out).

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

1 hour ago, WeBeFulltimers said:

Actually the 2007 had the 5.9 with no exhaust brake and the 2007 1/2 had the 6.7 WITH the exhaust brake.  I purchased a 2007 5.9 when new but the 2007 1/2 trucks were on the lot and available.  I don't like 1st year on engines/transmissions so I went 5.9 and LOVED it especially after adding PacBrake exhaust brake and Super Chips (after warranty timed out).

Which programmer did you choose?  From what I've read thus far, it seems Smarty is most popular for the common rail Cummins.  I'm not looking for a road racer or adding so much HP and torque that the rest of the trucks powertrain was never designed to handle - which is a concern of mine.  Really just want a system that optimizes for towing. 

Be careful with a programmer on a 2006 with auto trans 68re. The torque converter cannot withstand much abuse.  If you go aftermarket parts and pieces, then it can be a very durable.  The newer 6.7 and transmissions are beefier and can take more abuse.  If you do a programmer at all, get some gauges.  #6 cylinder likes to get warm and melt if EGT's go above 1200*.for too long.    

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

22 hours ago, freestoneangler said:

Which programmer did you choose?  From what I've read thus far, it seems Smarty is most popular for the common rail Cummins.  I'm not looking for a road racer or adding so much HP and torque that the rest of the trucks powertrain was never designed to handle - which is a concern of mine.  Really just want a system that optimizes for towing. 

As I originally stated I used a "Super Chips" programmer and only set it for towing.  Never did set it up for performance.  My racing days are finished.

2012 Montana 3585SA

20 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Be careful with a programmer on a 2006 with auto trans 68re. The torque converter cannot withstand much abuse.  If you go aftermarket parts and pieces, then it can be a very durable.  The newer 6.7 and transmissions are beefier and can take more abuse.  If you do a programmer at all, get some gauges.  #6 cylinder likes to get warm and melt if EGT's go above 1200*.for too long.    

I think you will find that the 68re did not become available until 2007 1/2 model year with the 6.7 CTD.  My 2007 with the 5.9 had the 48re and I believe the 2006 had a 47re.

2012 Montana 3585SA

My mistake, the 48 is what I had in mind.  I ended up with a Garmon transmission in my 2006.  But I had a Cummins block and mostly aftermarket parts on it.  The 68 does have a weak converter though.  Its fine for the stock configuration, but much over 45-50 ft-lbs of torque more and it will start slipping under heavy loads / hard acceleration.  Dodge doesn't run as much line pressure as Allison or Ford in their transmissions.  It's about the only downfall of the whole package.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Archived