ABS light continued

lockmup68

Might remember I had ABS light issues back when I first bought the truck last August. The solution at the time was a new rear wiring harness. The ABS light came on again on the way to the ECR and after we returned, I had it in the shop last week trying to figure it out. Cumberland International in Murfreesboro came up with the "corrosion" theory that I wasn't buying and went and picked up the truck.

We were headed on the first road trip as full timers to Raleigh this week. I'll fill in the details later, but while in Raleigh, I decided to take the truck in to get a second opinion on the ABS light. (transmission will not auto shift with ABS light on). White's Tractor and Truck in Wilson said they could get me in.

Code said left rear ABS sensor. On my International, the ABS sensor is inside the hub, so the wheels have to come off and then take the drum off. 

Sensor was in pieces. So new sensor and wire, back together. Take it for a test run, looking good for about 5 min and then ABS light comes back on. Check the codes and left rear sensor, right rear sensor, voltage sensor, and front left sensor are all showing? 

Left for the eve and went back to the campground. Back to shop at 8 am. A mechanic named Block did a great job of checking all the connections and such and traced each wire and verified signal on each one. He determined it was the ABS control module (Bendix ABS controller 3572459C2 PLC). They were willing to give me a "deal" price of $1,600 for the controller plus install, but can't get part until next Wednesday. I asked them to button it back up as I needed to get back on the road on Sunday to be back in TN by Tuesday. 

Block showed me where the ABS module was and how it was mounted and how it plugged into the harness. Also showed me where the check engine light bulb was burned out and how to replace it. 

Would getting a used ABS control module be a bad idea? Used ones are $3-500. I think I found a new old stock for $1,100, or new ones for $1,500 are readily available. On the used front, the two I found are from 2007s, which is 4 years newer than my truck and a lot fewer miles. 

IMG_2433_zpsxn6t1zhn.jpg

IMG_2432_zpsr74jjaz4.jpg

IMG_2431_zps2vghxx9e.jpg

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

3 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

If the used is the same model and guaranteed to work then why not.

It's the guaranteed to work part I'm trying to confirm.

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Archived