Radiator drain

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I crawled under the front of my truck looking for a drain at the bottom of the radiator. I had no luck. I also looked for shut off valves that go to the heater cores, with no luck. It is so hard not to believe there is no drain at the bottom of the radiator. I need to lower the level of the engine coolant so I can get out the heater core in the sleeper. I don't want to loosen and remove a hose to lower the level of the coolant. All that does is make a big mess. If I were changing out the coolant. That way would not be a big a big problem. Does anyone have an idea to help lower the coolant level ? I want to save and re-use the coolant over.

Open for ideas,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

52 minutes ago, MrSeas said:

You need to use  "Volvo's adapter" 

There is a fitting near the bottom on the radiator usually on the passenger side.

Looks like a "quick disconnect type fitting".

Here is an example of the Volvo adapter....

https://otrperformance.com/product/volvo-radiator-coolant-drain-hose-9996049/

Hi MrSeas,

Thank you for posting the link. I will need to crawl under the truck again and see if I can find a fitting like they show in the video.

Al

1 hour ago, MrSeas said:

You need to use  "Volvo's adapter" 

There is a fitting near the bottom on the radiator usually on the passenger side.

Looks like a "quick disconnect type fitting".

Here is an example of the Volvo adapter....

https://otrperformance.com/product/volvo-radiator-coolant-drain-hose-9996049/

You are a wealth of information.  Is that connection an odd size or proprietary to Volvo or could that same tool be made up cheaper than $60?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

17 hours ago, MrSeas said:

Not sure on the size... I have seen the fitting at a better price. I'll see if I can find the part #. 

Hi MrSears,

That would be great for a part number. I thought the same thing on the cost. Seems to be on the high side. $30 would be a fair price.

Carl, I think the part is just for Volvo trucks. The part that is attached to the radiator looks like a male quick connect for an air line. But there must be something special about this part. The end is open and no liquid come out unless you use the hose with the adaptor.

Al

23 minutes ago, alan0043 said:

Hi MrSears,

That would be great for a part number. I thought the same thing on the cost. Seems to be on the high side. $30 would be a fair price.

Carl, I think the part is just for Volvo trucks. The part that is attached to the radiator looks like a male quick connect for an air line. But there must be something special about this part. The end is open and no liquid come out unless you use the hose with the adaptor.

Al

It also looks like Mack trucks use's this style of hose to drain their radiator. I wonder if the Mack truck part number might be cheaper. I have not find the Mack truck part number yet.

Al

Archived