New truck!

Heavymetal

On May 11, 2017 at 11:12 PM, Scrap said:

Disc and RSD drum are pretty comparable on the first stop and most of the 2nd stop, then they diverge quite a bit from there.  Since you drive with your ACB doing the work you are definitely better served with disc.  Just like we talked about in the other thread, for a go-anywhere, do anything, forever truck I have a hard time going with all the 6x2's, direct drives, dry sumps, etc, etc  It does work and it does save fuel, but just like super 10's, Lightnings, RTX's, etc, etc, it is just the current thing of the freeway flyer and it's time will also pass.  A lot of them are pavement only hub to hub application restricted as well.  A forever truck's gotta be an OD, and enough deep reductions to get more places than just an on-ramp.  Then again I don't spend much time in the midwest either and it is a whole different ball game out there.  Anyways, think real hard about not doing it....

Aftertreament totally changed for 2017 so I suspect most of your decisions will end up being around figuring out the frame layout.  I don't know much about Daimler, but ours it is totally different than last year and I suspect your new truck will lay out quite a bit different from your old truck.  So leave yourself enough time to get that figured.  Also with us a whole lot of the truck changes this October, which is later than normal.  So check close on what they got coming out and don't order too early...

Thanks for the input. The only way I would go with a 6x2 is if it had a lifting tag and they won't do that. Their reason for not doing a lifting tag is getting the height of the drive line correct each time it is used. They feel that this would be problematic! I ask them, well what about all the triple axles you build with lifting tags! No response. 

The only reason I was thinking about going back to drum is the feel at the pedal, with the antilocke disc I have maybe 3/4 of an inch of pedal from a little brake to full on emergency stop and having Parkinson's the tremor in my right leg makes that 3/4" seem like 1/8 of an inch same with the electronic throttle. Sometimes you would think I was a rookie trying to start with a 80k load on a up sloop with a wore out old truck. My cab and my wife all get to bouncing. 

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

Archived