Fried relay on the Jackalopee

rdickinson

On my trip down here and doing the pretrip, I was having problems with the left turn signal being intermittent.  Sometimes it would work, sometimes not.  Got my test lite and went all the way to the trailer connection and not really able to find anything definitive that is until they failed altogether.

Looked in the truck fuse panel but not able to find a fuse so I called Randy with the wrist and a week or so later he got back to me and said to have a look at the Jackaloppee.  Rhe left turn signal led was fried and droopy on the board.  The area around the led and relay area was burnt.  So another board was ordered and showed up Monday.  Truck was taken into Electrical Innovators in New Iberia.  The boss had me run thru some troubleshooting checks and found the issue to be a fried or stuck relay.  He swapped it out with a good one and the indicators worked.  Put the bad one on the rt turn signal and it didn't work.  So the problem was a relay, he turned it over and you could see some bubbling adjacent to the post or spade end.

The board got swapped out anyway and all new relays as well.  All is running fine.

Henry told me how he made these things and the overkill re the components....I gotta tell you he was spot on.  This is most definitely NOT some offshore crap.  It is heavy for its size.  So the old one is off to Henry or Randy A to fix then there will be a spare.

Also have some pics of the fried board and relay and yes folks there is one of me replacing the board myself but under very strict supervision by the boss at Electrical Invocators.

He is also a Volvo repair facility, fixes everything electrical plus plus plus.

He got my generator working, the remote start from the truck as well.  he will also replace the crossthreaded bolt holes in the deck with Helix coils after some helpful person crossthreaded for me 4 yrs ago.

So I thought this may be useful for some others who are not gearheads in case they ran into the same or similar problem. Pics available at no charge.

There are a lot of lurkers who have rigs like ours.

These guys are keeping an eye open for a 7.5 or 8 kw Onan to replace the unit I have.  60 amps is better than 28.  4 k for the unit and 1k to install....its a no brainer.

If you are in a bind people, I can't say enough good  about them.

Now everything is working except for the lane departure and that is next before the long treck back home.

Archived