Sub Panel / Inverter Wiring

Just looking for clarification on my inverter install.

My wiring will go from the main panel to the inverter and from the inverter to the sub panel. Will move all circuits from main panel that I want to run on inverter to sub panel.

I didn't see the need for a transfer switch. I have a portable generator and the inverter has a transfer switch installed in it.

Thank you for your comments.

Rick

Looks good. Have your inverter as close to the batteries as possible. Go to a welding store and buy some 4/0 or 3/0 welding cable for your batteries to the inverter. The cables it came with are not heavy enough.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

If I understand your plan, EITHER the Generator orrrrrrrrrrrr the Inverter will feed what you call a sub panel via the Inverters Transfer Switch right????

If that's the case, the Generator will be wired and configured as a "Separately Derived Source",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,The Generator will have a BONDED (Non Floating) Neutral,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,The Generator's Neutral/Ground BOND will serve as the "Single Point" Ground,,,,,,,,,,,,,,The Panel will have separate Neutral and Ground Busses electrically insulated and isolated from each other just as in typical RV panels fed off the Utility,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,The Transfer Switch would switch Neutrals as well as the Hots (in this scenario), but there are other methods such as a Grounding Relay in the Inverter etc. If the Neutrals were NOT switched then you would use a floating Neutral Generator. I would need to see the Transfer and Inverter schematics to better advise.

PS some smaller portable generators have a bonded Neutral while others have a floating Neutral so that makes a difference. However if its a floater a simple plug/pigtail can convert it over.

Sounds like all is well if wired and configured correctly but absent the schematics NO WARRANTY

John T

Archived