Remove side fairing

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I have the need to remove the second half of the side fairing. The truck is a 2012 Volvo VNL 630. The fairing that I am talking about is rear of the quick remove fairings. Is there any hidden bolts that I should look for ? Is there any other special fasteners holding the fairing to the truck ? I want to work smarter not like a gorilla. lol.

Thank you for any help,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Al, I have a 2013 730 so I am betting that it is the same.

So in short, these things are a pain in the (you know what)! There are 2 nuts/bolts at the front and rear in each black metal bracket and then there are 3 or 4 plastic 2-part clips that interlock to the fairing and snap onto a metal rail. These clips are a horrible design IMHO. Getting them off wasn't too tough as most of them broke on mine, even with trying to be VERY careful. Getting them to snap back on was my bigger problem.

First, you insert the top and the bottom parts of the clip into the slots on the fairing and then lock the two parts together. Then you insert the bottom edge of the fairing into the track and then try to get those damn plastic clips to snap onto the rail without falling off or breaking. I would recommend maybe some dishwashing soap on the clip and/or rail to act as a lubricant.

I need to get a half a dozen of these from the dealership to replace the broken ones and have a couple of extras on hand. Maybe the new ones won't be quite so brittle.

$_1.JPG

Good luck!!

~Shawn

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog
2013 Volvo 730 / iShift / D13 XE Package / ET Hitch
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43 Atlanta
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

Read the blog at 40foothouse.com

R8O2pAw.jpg

Al, I have a 2013 730 so I am betting that it is the same.

So in short, these things are a pain in the (you know what)! There are 2 nuts/bolts at the front and rear in each black metal bracket and then there are 3 or 4 plastic 2-part clips that interlock to the fairing and snap onto a metal rail. These clips are a horrible design IMHO. Getting them off wasn't too tough as most of them broke on mine, even with trying to be VERY careful. Getting them to snap back on was my bigger problem.

First, you insert the top and the bottom parts of the clip into the slots on the fairing and then lock the two parts together. Then you insert the bottom edge of the fairing into the track and then try to get those damn plastic clips to snap onto the rail without falling off or breaking. I would recommend maybe some dishwashing soap on the clip and/or rail to act as a lubricant.

I need to get a half a dozen of these from the dealership to replace the broken ones and have a couple of extras on hand. Maybe the new ones won't be quite so brittle.

$_1.JPG

Good luck!!

~Shawn

Hi Shawn,

Thank you for your help. I was able to get the side off. I will use your advice when putting the side back on.

Thank you again,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Archived