What options should we order?

Labauer

I won't comment on your list, that's been done well. But if I was having a unit built, I'd INSIST on 2 things:

1) install a single 1.5" minimum conduit from front to back to pull any future wiring needed for a camera, repair a short, etc

2) give me a diagram of where all the 12V & 110V wiring runs are hidden, floor? Ceiling ?

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

I consider Auto Leveling a must and a Generator is nice but added to weight.

Yes Make sure you have adequate tires and suspension for the maybe 3,000 pounds of storage and that depends on your hobbies.

If you plan to buy quality furniture ( Good Leather) that is added later ensure that is added to your payload.

The hitch either on your tow vehicle or FW should a air suspension.

Last but not least the slide toppers are not worth the money unless your going use them as sun shades over your slides ( they always pool water especially if 8 - 10 foot or longer)

Clay

2016 MS 38PS3

I made my slide toppers out of 90% sun reduction screen. No sticks, etc, no pooled water, no flap. Slide tops are designed to get wet, just want to keep the ca-ca off

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

We have Dish at home and a Winegard Trav'ler on our 5thW and really like it.

One question is how often are you going to move?

You can get an antenna and portable mount for a little over $100.00 or a Trav'ler for around $1200 plus install. The difference is the motor/system to point the dish. If you are going to stay in 1 place for an extended period it might make more since to get the portable unit and spend 15 or so minutes pointing the dish yourself.

In our case we use our trailer for usually short periods and it's great just going in and hitting a button.

P.S. Our next trailer is going to be an Augusta unless they sell out to the big 2.

We will get everything else on your list also.

Invest is a 1st class EMS like Progressives HW50C unit permanently mounted inside the trailer.

Not only slide toppers but also a slide awning. We are in Texas so heat gain is a big issue.

Upgrade the WiFi booster and get a cell phone booster as well if being connected is important.

2013 Newmar Dutchstar 4318

2019 F150 KR 4X4 

BlueOx 10K Tow Bar

While at Augusta ask about the special they are running right now which includes some of the options your asking about. They set me a email with the offer, pm if you like and I can forward it to you.

Thank you! I got it and our salesman called to say if we put our deposit down now, when we visit we can pick the options

Thank you! I got it and our salesman called to say if we put our deposit down now, when we visit we can pick the options

How does that benefit you? Once you put a deposit down, you've lost all negotiating power. I don't understand why you would consider doing that.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Ok good glad you got it, enjoy your visit there we did when we went over a year ago.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

I just looked at Augusta RV's website and noticed they don't provide any info about dry weight, GVWR (Gross Weight) or CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity). Before you buy, be sure and check out the weights. Most full timers need 2500-3000 pounds of CCC. Also keep in mind that dry weight usually doesn't include things like full fresh water tank, half full (or more) black & gray tanks at about 8 pounds per gallon.

I am impressed they have the 17.5" tires, disk brakes and Mor/Ryde suspension though.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

I just looked at Augusta RV's website and noticed they don't provide any info about dry weight, GVWR (Gross Weight) or CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity).

As far as I've heard.. that's been a major complaint across the board with Augusta's. Very low CCC for full timers, but they supposedly are trying to correct that. I'm not sure about all of their lines, but I know with the Ambition line.. all have a GVWR of 19.5k now (?). Considering their dry weight's seem to range in the 14-16k range, that's not "terrible". The impression I get with them is that they are so "option" driven it's probably difficult to really publish dry weights on any given "stock" unit. Don't quote me on the 19.5k though.. I know it was in the works (only for the Ambition's), but I don't know if it has actually been implemented.

Their other line is still kind of in the crappers.. around 2k CCC is about all you can expect. Lux or Luce.. I don't recall at the moment. For boasting "full-time" features and options.. 2k won't hardly getcha around the block. ;)

As far as I've heard.. that's been a major complaint across the board with Augusta's. Very low CCC for full timers, but they supposedly are trying to correct that. I'm not sure about all of their lines, but I know with the Ambition line.. all have a GVWR of 19.5k now (?). Considering their dry weight's seem to range in the 14-16k range, that's not "terrible". The impression I get with them is that they are so "option" driven it's probably difficult to really publish dry weights on any given "stock" unit. Don't quote me on the 19.5k though.. I know it was in the works (only for the Ambition's), but I don't know if it has actually been implemented.

Their other line is still kind of in the crappers.. around 2k CCC is about all you can expect. Lux or Luce.. I don't recall at the moment. For boasting "full-time" features and options.. 2k won't hardly getcha around the block. ;)

I would guess that the GVWR would be around 18,500 to 19,000. There are two 8000# axles for 16,000# and 2,500-3000# for hitch weight. What I find interesting is the 34' Ambition has the same pair of 8000# axles as the 39' Luxe. I wonder what the CCC is for the 39' Luxe?

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

I wonder what the CCC is for the 39' Luxe?

It depends on what options are installed, but I know it's not too hot. The only discussion I've seen on the 39' Luxe (no first hand knowledge at all, mind you), but he was saying he had 3.9k on the hitch and 1780 CCC. I know 2k has been thrown around a lot, but I haven't paid attention on how many of the figures are coming from actual owners or just company responses/estimates.

I love what they are trying to do, but seems like they are still trying to work out the kinks. Supposedly the Augusta's have been "upgraded" and some configurations will now allow for up to 4k CCC (I'm guessing dry with "bare boned" no options installed). They have yet to address the Luxe's. Or.. at least the last I heard.

If they can make it work though.. sure would be a nice little full-timer.

Labauer.. sorry for the hi-jack. I'll be quiet now. ;)

Please don't stop the comments and discussion about the weight. This is our first rv and we need to know what questions to ask at the factory besides the ones we already have. We've spent years reading, researching, and going to shows so appreciate any and all advice! We just put down the deposit so we receive $5100 in options off the price. We really like the looks of the Ambition 35rs. They have a new 34ks we want to look at. We go in two weeks.

Please don't stop the comments and discussion about the weight.

In that case.. at the factory I would confirm the GVWR (should be the same for every Ambition). I've seen 19.5k published (as Al pointed out).. 2-8k axles + 3.5k on the hitch is likely how they are calculating that. But like Al, I would us a little more realistic 19k GVWR for my calculations.

Bearing in mind that they will only be estimated weights.. once you get a dry weight for the specific rig you are looking at.. with all options.. that would be the number you subtract from the "working" GVWR to get an idea of what your CCC would be.

Also.. as Al pointed out earlier.. for a full-time couple.. a 2.5-3k CCC is as low as most folks can manage. Personally, I wouldn't consider anything lower than 3k, and for a "full-time" rig of that size I would prefer to see something more in the 4k range.. With a full 79 gallon fresh water tank, 658lbs, 80lbs of LP, 300lb battery bank (4 - 6v cells listed).. you can see how cargo capacity can get eaten up in a hurry right out of the gate.

TV wise.. you're definitely looking.. at a minimum.. and as long as all of the other numbers work.. at a properly equipped newer model 1ton diesel dually. Towing with an 80% margin.. that would just make it. Tow capacities keep going up and up on MDT's, but at the end of the day.. you're still going to have a 20k+ package behind a ~7k rig. I'm sure you've already read it over and over, but it's not about how much you can tow. Control and stopping capability under adverse conditions is key.

Getting into that weight range.. considering you'll be full-timers.. I would highly recommend looking into an HDT.

Labauer,

Have you read through the Augusta RV Forum? It is a company owned and presumably managed forum so there might not be many negatives allowed, but there does seem to be some info available there. Also you could ask questions.

Also I did a Google Search for "augusta rv forum" and there are a number of hits in several forums about the Ambition & Luxe trailers. There may be some good info available in these various forums.

You might check and be sure you can access the fridge with the slides in. This is always important to us. When we stop for lunch while traveling we want to get into the fridge. Also we like to stay in more remote places, like NF's, NP's BLM land out west, so we would stop in route to pick up groceries to put in the fridge.

The washer/dryer placement is strange, being in the closet under all the hanging clothes. That is if you opt for the washer/dryer.

While you are getting a number of less than positive comments of things about the Augusta RV's, overall I really like the looks of the RV. However looks don't always translate into high quality workmanship.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

One small item you might consider if you choice has the ducted in air conditioning; An easily changed filter on the return air. Ours did not have this option so we had to search out a return air intake that had a drop down cover to make changing the filters much easier. We would have to remove the screws holding up the cover to get to the filters and over time the screw holes were wallowing out. In some areas of our great country this would not be much of a problem but, in the desert S.W. it can become problematic. We finally located these and it changed it from a two hour job changing all four filters to about 5 mins. Like I said, not a big option but if it's available it's well worth it. Otherwise what's been covered is about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Again, thank you for all your posts! We visited the Augusta factory and placed our order with tentative delivery in May. So enjoyed our time with Steven Zonker who we've been working with and the other staff that worked with us to create our new home. The factory tour was hugely informative, all our questions were answered and we saw several units in varying stages of build. It's clear the employees building these beauties take their time and take pride in the final product.

The plant is moving to a new location over Thanksgiving. Augusta merged with another small rv company that makes toy haulers so both will be made at the same plant and the office staff will be located at the plant as well.

We ordered the Ambition 34KS. We were told the UVW is 15000-16000. The GCW is 18000-19000. The hitch weight is 3600-4000. The CCC is 2000-2200.. It's 36' long and 13'3" in height with the two low pro acs we ordered.

They suggested a Ford F350 to tow. That's my next research project!

Archived