Why the latest Windows 10 cumulative update is failing and how you can recover

RV_

If the Windows 10 cumulative update to 1607 (Anniversary update) update over the weekend refused to complete installing, then reverts, then repeats, here is a fix and more information.

Excerpt:

"The latest cumulative update to Windows 10, KB3194496, is causing frustration for some PC owners, with the update trying and failing repeatedly to install. I've learned who's most likely to be affected and also have two recovery options.

The problem occurs with Cumulative Update KB3194496, which was released for Windows 10 version 1607 on September 29, 2016.

For most users running the latest public release of Windows (version 1607, also known as the Anniversary Update), this cumulative update completes successfully and brings the current build number to 14393.222.

But if you're one of the unlucky ones affected by this bug, after the required restart the system reaches the "100 percent complete" mark and then announces: "We couldn't complete the updates. Undoing changes."

The whole process only takes a few minutes but it's annoying. It's also frustrating, because the update will try again the next day, only to fail again.

Fortunately, the issue appears to be limited to a relatively small subset of Windows 10 devices. You are at greatest risk if you have a machine that was previously part of the Windows Insider Program but was then removed from the program. The most likely time for this to happen was in late July or early August, after the release of the Anniversary Update.

And indeed, I encountered the failed update on two systems that matched that description to a T. Both had been part of the Windows Insider Program but were removed when the Release Preview build arrived and are now running the public (Current Branch) release, build 14393."

While it involves deleting some folders and making two changes to the registry. Find all the details and instructions in the whole article here:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/why-windows-10-cumulative-update-kb3194496-is-failing-and-how-you-can-recover/? ftag=TREc64629f&bhid=19724681974700635514865380622813

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

MIchael,

Thanks for the feedback. Lots of folks freeze up when a registry edit is mentioned, but this one is easy to follow.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived