New "to me" Pusher!

aemedic

I just picked up a 2004 Blue Bird Wanderlodge M380 and drove it back from San Antonio. It is my first motorhome and even though it needs a little TLC, I love it! Now we need to find the right toad...I am thinking Jeep Rubicon.

Chris

2004 Blue Bird Wanderlodge M380

2014 Goldwing

2004 Yamaha V-Max
2007 Honda XR650R
2007 Honda TRX250EX

Congrats on your new ride:)! They really made a nice coach... If you have not done so yet, check in with the Bird owners group. I don't recall the specific years and models, but I believe I recall that some of the front axles were changed to a larger wheel and tire combo to handle the weight. (Not a big deal, and for sure ma not have been the M380 involved in this - but worth checking.)

Enjoy!

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

I'm still on my First Class A DP. love it. altho its a 2000, i put approx $6000 into it. love it. The Floor Plan is awesome. looked at plenty of other brands, sizes. It truly is a home on wheels. My only prob getting the wife to even just do a one night out camping, she likes atleast 2 days. Some day i be Full Timing it.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Maybe you need a enclosed trailer to take all 4 bikes with you. :)

Or maybe a pick up truck to take at least one in the bed.

Yes good Idea.....as you see I tow a GMC Sierra behind my MH. The truck arries a RZR but it could easily carry 2 dirt bikes. At least that would be my choice. Could also put a lift on the rear of the MH and carry one of the road bikes. After all the name of the game is to take as many toys as possible and have as much fun as possible.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

• 4 weeks later...

Wanting a purely simple flat tow ready vehicle, We considered both the Jeep Wrangler and Grand Cherokee as both are simple to flat tow and have the fewest limits in terms of what you need to do to maintain the vehicle while towing (i.e. periodic starts, transmission shifts, per mileage/distance intervals, etc). After test driving both (Wrangler Rubicon and Grand Cherokee) we choose the GC owing to it being a more "friendly" vehicle for our needs to include being a more appropriate "daily driver" along with a much better ride than the Wrangler offers (a bit too rough for us). In either case we were looking for a late model pre-owned vehicle and ended up with a '16 GC Summit with 8k miles on it at a price we would have spent for a nicely equipped brand new or even pre-owned Rubicon.

All comes down to what suits your individual needs and wants. Good luck with your search and choice.

BTW: we tow using the Roadmaster Blackhawk II tow-bar with SMI Air Force I onboard braking system and love it...can't even tell the car is there unless you look in the rear view camera.

I guess its too late to give anymore input to your choice of toads ..BUT.....I absolutely loath any 4x4 with an electronic transfer case. Therefore I will only consider up to a 2004 jeep cherokee as they still have the manual transfer switch. The electronic transfer cases are a nightmare.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Congrats on the new Bird. We had an FC and enjoyed it. The M380 is my favorite Bird. Just the right size. The only negatives I have heard on M380's is the Cummins in some years has engine problems. There is a thread on the subject in the Wanderlodge forum.

Thank you guys for all the replies!

I'm still on my First Class A DP. love it. altho its a 2000, i put approx $6000 into it. love it. The Floor Plan is awesome. looked at plenty of other brands, sizes. It truly is a home on wheels. My only prob getting the wife to even just do a one night out camping, she likes atleast 2 days. Some day i be Full Timing it.

I am headed towards that number myself. The rig is exactly what we wanted, well almost, we wanted the ISM...

Maybe you need a enclosed trailer to take all 4 bikes with you. :)

Or maybe a pick up truck to take at least one in the bed.

That is the plan, I am looking for the right trailer.

Yes good Idea.....as you see I tow a GMC Sierra behind my MH. The truck arries a RZR but it could easily carry 2 dirt bikes. At least that would be my choice. Could also put a lift on the rear of the MH and carry one of the road bikes. After all the name of the game is to take as many toys as possible and have as much fun as possible.

Without a huge trailer, we couldn't take everything we want to, so we just have to pick our pleasure.

Wanting a purely simple flat tow ready vehicle, We considered both the Jeep Wrangler and Grand Cherokee as both are simple to flat tow and have the fewest limits in terms of what you need to do to maintain the vehicle while towing (i.e. periodic starts, transmission shifts, per mileage/distance intervals, etc). After test driving both (Wrangler Rubicon and Grand Cherokee) we choose the GC owing to it being a more "friendly" vehicle for our needs to include being a more appropriate "daily driver" along with a much better ride than the Wrangler offers (a bit too rough for us). In either case we were looking for a late model pre-owned vehicle and ended up with a '16 GC Summit with 8k miles on it at a price we would have spent for a nicely equipped brand new or even pre-owned Rubicon.

All comes down to what suits your individual needs and wants. Good luck with your search and choice.

BTW: we tow using the Roadmaster Blackhawk II tow-bar with SMI Air Force I onboard braking system and love it...can't even tell the car is there unless you look in the rear view camera.

Thank you for the intel! We are going to get an early 2000s Wrangler with a 4.0 and an auto (for the wife...) so that we can have a little fun at Moab as well!

I guess its too late to give anymore input to your choice of toads ..BUT.....I absolutely loath any 4x4 with an electronic transfer case. Therefore I will only consider up to a 2004 jeep cherokee as they still have the manual transfer switch. The electronic transfer cases are a nightmare.

Not too late, but I think we are right on track.

Congrats on the new Bird. We had an FC and enjoyed it. The M380 is my favorite Bird. Just the right size. The only negatives I have heard on M380's is the Cummins in some years has engine problems. There is a thread on the subject in the Wanderlodge forum.

Thank you!

Chris

2004 Blue Bird Wanderlodge M380

2014 Goldwing

2004 Yamaha V-Max
2007 Honda XR650R
2007 Honda TRX250EX

Archived