Reno to Eau Claire WI

ANG0225

Anyone familiar with that route? How bad are the mountains as far as towing?

I'm not quite sure how to answer this. I have been over all of the route you are likely to take from Reno as far east as Minnesota and would not consider any of it to be "bad" mountain driving, but there are mountains and degree of difficulty is more an issue of who is driving than of the road involved. Between Island Park, ID and West Yellowstone, MT there is a mountain pass, but the road is good and it isn't excessively steep. If you live in Reno, you probably have already driven more complex roads than you will experience on that trip. The worst issue will probably be dealing with the traffic of Yellowstone. The same will be true of US191 from West Yellowstone to Bozeman. You could also travel east through Yellowstone to Cody, WY, following US14/16/20 which would be my preferred route and more scenic in my view, but it is also more mountainous. Any of these options are traveled by all sorts of RVs in the summer season and should not prohibit your travel, as the roads are good and it isn't overly challenging.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I agree with Kirk that the route from Cody on US14/16/20 is nicer. If you take that route you may want to stop at Custer State Park in South Dakota just down the road from Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Archived