Turn signal failure on toad

watson8841

Hope this issue will not be as drawn out as the last. I have a 2008 Coachmen Sportscoach Elite DP. We tow a Mini Cooper using magnetic roof lights. This system has worked flawlessly for over a year. Coming home last weekend, I noticed that the left turn signal and brake light was not working on the toad. All coach lights are working properly. Ahhhh, I said to self. I have a bad bulb but no such luck. Checked all connections....removed lights from toad and hooked directly to coach with adapter plug. Same results. Right side works properly with signal and brake light but nothing on the left.

I have checked every fuse I can find. Seems to me to be a fuse issue but I can not find the little demon. Any help?

As always, thanks for a great community. Dan

You could have just a broken a wire inside the sheathing or what happened to me, inside the plastic box that is attached to the magnet, i found a broken wire where they crimped the incoming wires to the led lights, check the wires inside and out. i thought it was some other problem but was the easiest the brake and turn are the same wire i believe, i bet that is where you will find the problem. Mike

I highly doubt that there is a fuse involved, but it is possible. I have towed with that sort of light for many years and as I understand your problem, the suggestion of BigMike is probably correct. Does the parking light on each side work, but not the brake/turn light? That is also a single lead. Where I would look is the wire that runs between the two light bases. If yours is like mine the lead from the coach runs back to the right side light assembly and from the right over to the left side. Since there is one wire in the harness for the right turn/brake light and another for the left turn/brake, the problem could be anywhere between the light and the plug for the RV. You may want to examine the connection plug first as that is often the cause of such problems, but if you are sure that it is good, then you should look at the light assembly and work your way back.

4-wire-trailer-plug-wiring-l-c4de9fd07dc

Test device needed........

41bnjvFOPLL._AC_US160_.jpg

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The very FIRST thing I would do is get a test light or one of those handy dandy plug in testers TO SEE IF THE RECEPTACLE/OUTLET ON THE RV IS SENDING OUT A LEFT TURN/STOP SIGNAL. The problem may be at the RV instead of the toad lights, likely caused by a loose connection or broke wire so the turn/stop signal (12 volts when signal on or brake depressed) isn't getting to the receptacle/outlet pin itself. That's such an easy test, hook up the light or tester (outlets ground terminal and left turn terminal) and switch on the left signal and see if the light flashes?????????? Then have someone step on the brake pedal and see if it lights???? It probably wont either if turn don't because I suspect a wiring problem to or inside the receptacle/outlet, they just have a small screw down contact on each of the 6 or 7 terminals.

If the RV receptacle isn't sending out a left turn and stop signal, I doubt its a fuse issue, but more likely a broke or loose wire going to the receptacle/outlet or inside the receptacle/outlet where the 6/7 wires attach.

IFFFFFFFFFFF the signal issssssssssss present on the RV receptacle/outlet, but the toad light bar don't work and the bulb is okay, then I suspect a broke wire somewhere between the Plug and left light.

That's a pretty easy test and troubleshoot, insure RV receptacle/outlet is sending out a left signal, fix if not, if it is working, trace wires from Plug to light.

PS I'm talking about a 3 wire system (Left turn & Stop,,,,,,,Right turn & Stop, Tail Marker, 1157 dual or 3157 dual bulbs) which many trailers and light bars use versus a 4 wire (left, right, stop, tail). IFFFFFFF the RV is a 4 wire, they make 4/3 sold state adapters to operate 3 wire trailers or light bars. From your description talking about left turn & stop I'm guessing its a 3 wire (plus ground DUH) system............

John T

Watson, thanks for the update, that "first test" tells you a lot. I suspect a loose or pulled out or broke wire inside the 7 pole receptacle/outlet on the back of the RV. If that's all okay, see if the left (often yellow) turn/stop wire itself which goes to and feeds the 7 pole receptacle/outlet turn/stop terminal is hot????????? If not, you have to trace it back to however and wherever its connected to the RV's left turn/stop system wiring, sometimes with a fancy plug connector and sometimes hard wired cut and spliced into the RV left taillight.

Piece of cake

John T

I have a round 7 to 4 adapter and plugged it in this am. It has lights to indicate power. Right side is hot, left side is not.

Thanks for all the advice. Will check out RV plug this afternoon.....

The wire color code shown above is what you should be dealing with.

Trailer_Lights_8C9B6885-E03D-B3CA-702064

4wire.jpg

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I just noticed - the wiring diagram for the round 7-pin plug shown above is not the same as for a Bargman plug - wonder why?

Ron

The wire color code on the Bargman 7-Way Molded Trailer End Connector, part # 50-67-008, is

White - Ground

Red - Left Turn and Brake

Brown - Right Turn and Brake

Green - Tail Lights

Blue - Electric Brakes

Black - 12v power

Yellow - Auxiliary/Reverse Lights

Please be aware there are 7 round pin plugs used by commercial vehicles, like semis, and 7 flat-blade plugs used by RVs. The only common wire in the two is the Ground wire, numbers and colors.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Archived