Inspector

Dejae

Does anyone have an inspector they know of or can recommend in the San Diego, CA area?

We are looking at an RV that is a private sale and would like to get it inspected.

Thanks for any help

Judi

Blessed Travels,
Judi, John, Peanut and DeJae' (Our baby girl DeJae passed 7/21/2019)

There are none that I could recommend but you could do a Google search. Also many mobile RV techs will do the inspection of the RV parts and if motorized just find a good mechanic shop. You may want to try the RV Inspection Connection, a new service that is available. I know that they exist, but really can't recommend them. I also found this one on the net, but I know nothing at all about them.

If it were me, before I paid for a professional inspection, I'd use the inspection check list that comes from the RV Consumer Group and do one myself as you might find any significant problems yourself by doing so.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks Kirk....we have the list. Had a friend that was vacationing out there look at it and he said all looks really clean and well taken care of. Said stove worked, lights, toilet, shower, sinks and they guy even ran the splendid for him. Tires are dated for last year and guy had service receipts for every year. Friend also said it started up easily and sounded good but he doesn't know much himself about diesel, Neither does DH. Same with the generator. So was teeter tottering on to trust the guys expressed devotion and love for the coach and take my chances.....he really doesn't want to sell it. A divorce is forcing it. He bought it cash brand new but doesn't have the funds to pay off wife to keep it and doesn't want to try and get a loan against it as he is doing that to keep the house.

Just puts one on the fence....

Blessed Travels,

Good day.

A couple thoughts and suggestions. First, work to find someone who is a National RV Inspection Association (NRVIA), certified inspector. Second, a company associated with the NRVIA that employees inspectors as independent contractors is the RV Inspection Connection. You can look both of organizations up on the Internet. They offer different levels of inspections depending on whether you are looking at a motor home or a 5th wheel or TT. They have inspectors all around the country. They are very much like a home inspector in that they work for the prospective buyer, not an RV Dealership, not the corner auto garage, etc. I hope this helps.

Regards,

Tim Lerchbacker

2013 Ford F250

2012 Keystone Avalanche Fifth Wheel

Based in Cypress TX

Just puts one on the fence....

If he isn't in a rush to sell, you could probably find someone local to do an oil analysis as a good way to know what is happening in the engine. The place that I use works by mailing the sample in so that would take several days but I do use Blackstone Labs for my analysis. You could also locate a truck shop to go over the engine and power-train for you and as mentioned, a mobile RV tech would be a good way to get the RV completely checked over. Am I correct that you are not located near the RV in question? The story does sound completely plausible, but it does leave you depending upon his honesty since we can't really verify those facts.

Since he says it has no loan against it, and it seems you do have a friend there to help, I'd ask my friend to have him show the title to support the believe that it is free of any liens or encumbrances. That would be a big step in verification of the facts as claimed. While I am one who often does trust people, I also believe in verifying as much as possible, since there are some very talented scam artists out there who have no qualms at all in making up some really touching stories. :) If the fellow is as honest as it appears, then he should also understand your caution.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Well NRVIA and RV Inspection Connection have no one as far as 500 miles from San Diego to do the inspection. So glad they state Nationwide. Not like San Diego is a little town, it is a city.

We found a mobile RV inspector out there. His reviews online seem great. He was happy to hear it was a Monaco we were buying cause he owns one and thinks they are a great Motorhome to live in and being he has owned a few monacos in his time that he knows them darn well. He said, When they do have problems, I know where they are. That will be the first things I look for and at. I will also put in my report to you...the common issues that do/can occur even if not happening on this coach...just so you can keep a eye on them. Being we won't be there for the inspection for him to show us.

There was 2 other mobile RV repair/inspectors we found but one didn't have such great reviews and the other, all their reviews were positive but they all talked about having their awnings redone or their slide toppers redone. That was no help.

So I guess I can use this guy and keep my fingers, eyes and toes crossed.

Blessed Travels,

Well NRVIA and RV Inspection Connection have no one as far as 500 miles from San Diego to do the inspection. So glad they state Nationwide. Not like San Diego is a little town, it is a city.

We found a mobile RV inspector out there. His reviews online seem great. He was happy to hear it was a Monaco we were buying cause he owns one and thinks they are a great Motorhome to live in and being he has owned a few monacos in his time that he knows them darn well. He said, When they do have problems, I know where they are. That will be the first things I look for and at. I will also put in my report to you...the common issues that do/can occur even if not happening on this coach...just so you can keep a eye on them. Being we won't be there for the inspection for him to show us.

There was 2 other mobile RV repair/inspectors we found but one didn't have such great reviews and the other, all their reviews were positive but they all talked about having their awnings redone or their slide toppers redone. That was no help.

So I guess I can use this guy and keep my fingers, eyes and toes crossed.

Your information about RVICs ability to service inspections nationwide is good perspective. I was on the path to this enterprise but chose not to continue despite the fact that the Southwest is such a hotbed of RV activity. No inspectors within 500 miles certainly doesnt seem to service this area (San Diego) (I stay just north of there, > 1 hour). The NRVIA and RVIC were not business models that supported what I wanted for my business although the initial and a few subsequent presentations were worth considering. The investment in establishing a business as required as well as their providing 1 resource to provide asistance to accomplish this establishing of a business, seems biased and caused me some discomfort in my gut. As a self-employed business person, my experienced gut has been a good indicator and I stay in touch with it well.

Being a few years removed from the opportunity to become a charter member of these organizations, it seems that for me, it was the correct decision. I will say though, that the classes I PAID for which provided me with some knowledge as to the workings of RVs, were and are a benefit. But then again, thats why we take classes, right??

Pay attention to the type of information you get from the inspector you chose. Trust your gut as to his experience and knowledge. No doubt, you will pay him for his services, and you should receive what you expect. A comprehensive evaluation is not unreasonable but the level of the inspectors knowledge and experience is perhaps unknown, whether from RVIC or not. Trust your gut.

Marcel

Archived