Finally got my three favorite toys in my sig. photo!

Gary Hage

These are the things that makes this man the happiest in life:

My wife

My Boston Terrier Abby

My Redwood Fiver

My Volvo HDT

My Silverado

My 1958 Harley Davidson Sportster XLH

This Harley was owned by my Dad from 1959 - 1989. I grew up on the back of the bike. He sold it to his best friend Roland who kept it as a collector bike. The friend's son then sold it back to me in 2013. The old Iron Pony is back in our stable were she belongs!!! The first two photos were taken the day I brought the Harley home. After twenty-four years away from our family, and to this day the bike looks exactly the way it did on the day my dad sold it. In fact, it still has the last Florida license plate dad bought for it in 1989 mounted on the back of the Harley.

Note: What you see in the photo is a working "survivor" bike that is all original except the leather on the seat. For those of you Harley buffs that know your 58' XLHs and the early XLCH you will notice that Dad changed the parts on the bike to the XLCH. All of the original XLH parts remained with this bike throughout the years and it is my plan to return it to its original [XLH] configuration.

The mere fact that I even found this bike after more than twenty years since Dad had sold it is amazing in itself. Especially since I had lost contact with his friend years prior and my dad had passed away in 2000. But a desperate search for a photo of my dad and the bike which was to be use as the template for the ten year commemorative tattoo I had done of my father to honor him, is what ultimately led me to this family treasure. The 58' Sportster is now safely tucked away in its "Pony Trailer" and stored inside a secure storage unit nearby. It even became the catalyst for an up and coming book of mine along with the current book manuscript that is at my publisher as we speak. It is amazing how when we least expect, life can come full circle in the most unique ways.

This first photo is the day I picked the bike up and made a detour to Dad's 95 year old brother's house. Since my dad and his brother rode Harleys together when they were younger, I wanted Keith to have a chance to see this bike once again.

Keith%20and%20the%20Harley%202_zpsj8jk98

As you can see, I hadn't even had a chance to clean the years of dirt and dust off of the bike before stopping by his house. The next photo is after I arrived back home and gave it a bath.

Dads%201958%20XLH%20photo%201%202_zpsnrf

Not bad looking considering the bike is 58 years old now! The final two photos are of my tattoo of Dad and his 58' Harley Sportster. Along with the photo that used as the template for the tat. It was taken in 1962 during Bike Week at Daytona International Speedway. My dad and mom, plus Roland and his wife worked out on the race course each year during Bike Week for almost thirty years. The old 58' Sportster traveled many a mile around that speedway during those days that have now become memories from the past.

Dads%20tattoo_zps9pgas6dx.jpg

Dad%20amp%20Roland%201962%202_zpsnkrpci4

Just thought some of you fellow HDT and motorcycle enthusiast might enjoy this story and the pics!

Lead Campground Host at Ross Prairie Trailhead and Campground on the Cross Florida Greenway

Retired business owner

Author

2013 Redwood 36FB Fiver

2001 Volvo Vnl 420 HDT Toter

!958 Harley Davidson Sportster XLH [survivor bike]

Proud dad of Abby the Boston Terrier

100_3094_zpsxdkzvegd.jpg

I to ride a Harley and go to bikeweek every year for many years. I do a lot of reading here but never seem to put my two cents worth in. When i read your post and looked at the pictures, it brought tears to my eyes. I thought to myself what a great way to honor your father. I am sure he looking down at you with a big smile.

Archived