Windows 10 Anniversary Update to land on August 2nd

RV_

This is a first. This will be the first time all Windows devices, including phones and Xboxes all get the same update.

Microsoft reveals launch date and details some new security features that will be added for enterprise.

Excerpt:

"The first major update to Windows 10 will be made available on August 2nd.

The Windows 10 Anniversary Update, which will be released just over one year since Windows 10 launched, will be rolled out to all devices Windows 10 runs on — PCs, phones, tablets, Surface Hub, Xbox One, Internet of Things devices and HoloLens.

The Anniversary Update will add various features — including extensions to the Edge browser, better support for writing using a digital pen, more commands for the virtual assistant Cortana, new gaming options and improved security — such as biometric log-in to apps and websites using Windows Hello.

While Microsoft has detailed most of the Anniversary Update's features already, it did offer more information about how the release will improve security for enterprise.

Windows Information Protection, previously known as Enterprise Data Protection, will help protect against accidental data leaks. The feature uses containerisation file techniques to keep personal and enterprise data separate, as well as imposing various controls over who can access which data.

The other security feature aimed at enterprise is Windows 10 Defender Advanced Threat Protection (WDATP), a service for detecting online threats and attacks. While Windows 10 already includes the Windows Defender antivirus, this new service will attempt to spot emerging threats by analysing large amounts of security data and suggest responses to breaches. WDATP has been tested by 300 enterprises ahead of launch."

More details here: http://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10-anniversary-update-to-land-on-august-2nd/?ftag=TRE88e236a&bhid=19724681974700635514865380622813

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

The first major update to Windows 10 will be made available on August 2nd.

I thought some of the ones already out were major. :)

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

I'm on my Windows 10 phone and it is just like my desktop in most ways.

All my settings, favorites, contacts are shared between my computers.

And I just have the public release, not the beta of the big update.

It is coming together better than I'd hoped as a unified ecosystem.

I can't wait to try the converged OS on my desktops, phones, and tablets!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

RV

Have not had the GD in HI upgrade her Lumia 640 from 8.1 to 10 yet. Should I have her just wait for the big Anniversary update coming on August 2nd?

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Beats me, that is up to her and you. I think getting started is a good thing. I love it - the more I use 10 the more I like it! I do not know what it did to my Verizon 4G but now instead of waiting like dial up for a web page to load it is almost as fast as my home systems on WiFi. I love the way it syncs my alerts and messages, as well as my favorites in Edge from my desktop to my tablets and phone.

Edge on my phone is what I think made the speed better in part. I am using Edge browser at home and while there are still some things I find awkward, I am using it as well as IE 11.

It is a big change for the better, but those are usually easier for me if I just go ahead and learn it rather than bitch about it or spend time loading programs to nullify the changes. My essential ways of using my systems has not changed much at all. Just where I click to do the auxiliary functions has. I still don't use the start button except for once in a while. I pin all my most used programs and apps to the task bar, and have shortcuts to my next most used programs and apps on my desktop. One column plus two on the left. I do use the apps in start for the rare time I need to read my kindle on a PC. Or to look for Netflix which I rarely use because I have a full size Fire TV connected to my 27" screen. I use it rather than the computer app because we use that on our TVs. I like the voice search better than my old Roku 3 I sold before Roku had it.

My vote is do it and get the learning curve over with. Tutorials are online if needed. Start here: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Microsoft+Windows+10+mobile&&view=detail&mid=D170E8F5B6DC342A7FE0D170E8F5B6DC342A7FE0&FORM=VRDGAR

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived