Genarac Generator

Okay, please spare the lecture on their quality lol but I have this Generac (some call Genajunk) 4700 3600 Watt genset that runs too rich and turns the plug sooty black. I have cleaned and checked the air cleaner and the choke is working okay and fully opening but the mixture is just too rich. (No, there's no adjustment screw like older gensets had) I cant say I ever see any gas leak or run out the carbs sediment bowl, but it does seem to develop a thin coat of gas and I suspect the float level is too high or theres a needle and seat problem. Id like to remove the bowl but theres a 2 wire electric device (shut off??) on the bottom center of bowl and a wrench is too fat (but not really a hex nut underneath) to get between the electrical unit and the bowls bottom and I'm not sure how to remove it. I got owners type manuals on line, but haven't found any hard core shop type manual to describe removing the carb bowl. Can anyone provide guidance. She pumps out electricity just fine but she runs too rich in my opinion, I need to get that bowl off without breaking something as parts may be next to impossible to obtain. Any other poor souls out there experienced in that Generator and carb bowl removal??? My favorite is still the older two cylinder Onans that ran at a quieter 1800 RPM versus the so called screaming single cylinder 3600 RPM MicroQUIET Yeah Right

Happy Fourth of July, God Bless America

John T

Wires are connected to a switch inside the float bowl to activate the fuel pump. The adjustment screws are there, but hide behind a poured seal. I've used a ground down wrench to fit the bowl bolt, or you can source sheet metal wrenches. Amazon example:

L1010535.jpg

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

You may just have a partially clogged vent hole in the carb. The more closed these vents become the more fuel is forced into the mix despite the needle valve.

This generally can happen if carb interior surfaces have become varnished due to gas sitting idle in them for months at a time. It can also be from crap that has formed in the fuel filter/line from the same thing and eventually settled into the carb in microflakes that combined into more solid mass like a blood clot.

My Generac has had this happen twice. The second time it was so bad that raw gas was being pushed back out of the carburator air intake into the filter and then running all down the front of the engine. The clog was so bad and so hard that I had to carefull use an extremely small drill bit between my fingers to gradually cut it out without damaging the walls of the vent hole. I only found it because I could not blow any air through the vent with an air compressor. Of course, to even see the vent you have to take the carb off and apart so be sure to get a carb kit for it before you start. Believe me, you don't want it to get so clogged that you have the running generator sitting in a puddle of gasoline.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

UPDATE: I ground down a 13 mm wrench and got the bowl off and cleaned the needle and seat and that cured the bowl overfill and she's not black smoking or running as rich. I did NOT do any thorough carb cleaning like removing the brass plugs and fixed jets etc. It has a new spark plug and the air cleaner and choke are okay.

HOWEVER it don't run smooth and even, it sort of jumps and sputters and shakes and every once in a while it hits a brief smooth running spot. Its NOT any governor bumping or jumping, it still sputters n shakes even if throttle is held fixed. I checked the overhead valve lash and they seem sufficient. When it sputters its NOT throwing black smoke or smelling over rich. I guess next is to remove carb and all the brass I can and give her a real cleaning. Or could it be ignition related???????????????? darn if I know.

I told the wife its not right and I'm not sure if I can make it right DARN THING I'm NOT having it as is even though it generates electricity fine.

More thoughts??????????? If I found an older two cylinder 1800 RPM Onan that fits in the space I might be tempted to junk the darn Generac grrrrrrrrr

John T

Bet you can get a new carb for 30ish dollars. I once in a lifetime ran a small engine business. Spring time work was hectic. We would put on new carbs instead of rebuild to speed repairs up.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Archived