MORryde IS, Disc Brakes, Air Hitch - Wow!

Kevin H

We just had our Montana's spring suspension upgraded to MORryde IS and disc brakes. Prodigy 3 brake controller. Wow! What a difference. Switched our hitch from a Pullrite to a Trailer Saver BD3.

The last 2000 miles have been a world of difference. As this is our first trailer, I had no idea there could be such a difference between the drum and disc brakes as well as the drive/ride overall.

Love it!

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

We just had our Montana's spring suspension upgraded to MORryde IS and disc brakes. Prodigy 3 brake controller. Wow! What a difference. Switched our hitch from a Pullrite to a Trailer Saver BD3.
The last 2000 miles have been a world of difference. As this is our first trailer, I had no idea there could be such a difference between the drum and disc brakes as well as the drive/ride overall.
Love it!

Your new upgrades make sense. (of course I have that combination too) :) I've heard very little dissent about this kind of a build. For many it's the way all medium to heavy rigs should come from the factory.

I said the same thing when I owned my Harley Davidson a few years ago. Most HD owners feel compelled to make significant upgrades immediately upon the purchase of a new HD. Harley makes a great bike but then puts mediocre appointments on them as they assume most Harley owners will 'personalize' (aka upgrade) them.

"GAR" is a 2001 White Volvo 660 singled long w/ VED12 465 3.58 - Eaton Fuller Auto-shift 10spd. 3 pedal- Onan QD 6500 Gen. (aka "Joyrider")

2010 Carriage Royals International 36MAX1 w/ MORryde IS, G114's 17.5" wheels, (SOLD)

2014 Honda CRV AWD (ready to flat tow but driven separately by my DW!

Class of 2016 Full-Timers

We have the same on our 13 3402 Montana Big Sky.It is hard to relate the difference in ride to someone who does not have the set up. Yes these rigs should come equipped this way. We do a lot of road miles and the cost vs benefits may be questionable to a low end user.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

In addition to the suspension and brakes you have noted, any trailer approaching 20K should be equipped from the factory with 17.5 tires and wheels as well. Those three items however are fairly expensive as an option and many RV owners do not have a clue about the benefits of having those upgrades. For RV companies, hitting a price point to sell a certain size trailer often means the glitz goes in while the practical gets left off.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

RV owners do not have a clue about the benefits of having those upgrades. For RV companies, hitting a price point to sell a certain size trailer often means the glitz goes in while the practical gets left off.

I would say that is almost 100% true. Glitz is what sells trailers, NOT infrastructure. That is why the custom 5th wheel market is so small.

You get what you pay for, but most people do not care. Except for when things fail and start coming apart. Then they complain about poor quality. The trailer manufacturers are simply building what the market demands....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack is right. There is no glamour in strong frames, good wiring, good plumbing, things that matter in the long run.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

In consulting with people on trailer "builds" and design over the last ten years - and working with a few of the manufacturers as a technical consultant - I've found it "interesting" (as Phoenix would say) how people approach a higher end trailer acquisition. Many do it right, because they have been through the "it does not work well" production trailers. But many still insist on compromising on infrastructure to add glitz. With a finite budget, it is one or the other, but not typically both. Where the line is drawn is a personal decision. But leaving off a $3000 major infrastructure element on a $250K build so you can have some (fancier) tile in the shower is not what I would recommend..... :(

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

In addition to the suspension and brakes you have noted, any trailer approaching 20K should be equipped from the factory with 17.5 tires and wheels as well. Those three items however are fairly expensive as an option and many RV owners do not have a clue about the benefits of having those upgrades. For RV companies, hitting a price point to sell a certain size trailer often means the glitz goes in while the practical gets left off.

I upgraded to 17.5 wheels and Goodyear G114's within the first 1k miles. Heard too many horror stories about the Marathon blow-outs.

Did you get Kodiak or Dexter disks?

Kodiak - was not aware of the Dexter differences. With what I am seeing in the braking, not sure it was necessary for my use. My trailer only weighs 14K loaded. Were it heavier I may wish I had the bigger stopping power, but for now I am thrilled.

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

Kevin,

I am running a 21K trailer on two MORryde IS "axles" with Kodiak brakes and don't have any issues stopping the trailer. I can get parts for it anywhere in the country (std GM pads and calipers) in case anything goes wrong unlike Dexter which have to be shipped in. It does help that I use a HDT with air brakes but I can lock up the tires on the trailer with the Kodiaks. You reach a point of no return where the traction between the tires and the pavement are your limiting factor, not the pads or calipers. If you are counting on trailer brakes to slow you on a long downhill (instead of Jakes or exhaust brakes) you might have an issue but then again, you have other problems in that case (not a big enough tow vehicle).

You are not driving a race car with repetitive braking from speed that would require more brake power and you should be perfectly fine towing a 14K trailer with what you have. In fact, I would say with your upgrades, you should be VERY well covered in the tires, suspension, hitch and brake categories.

David

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

The trailer manufacturers are simply building what the market demands....

Not quite, Today they are building what they can mule the buying public into and maximize their profits, full well knowing that their products won't last 10-15 years, meanwhile financing it well beyond that time frame. Their business model is unconscionable.

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

Archived