Do you think this will help? Reflectix on top of the slide

It looks like we are going to be in Houston for the summer. Our one a/c is being pressed pretty hard already. Since summers in the heat isn't on our future agenda I'm trying to find ways to keep the 5th wheel reasonably comfortable for the next three months without investing in another a/c.

I've been experimenting with closing off the bedroom vents, running fans, and we've already started adding reflectix covers for some windows. Our a/c has a quick cool feature that let's you open some vents and dump air right into the main living area and we're using that feature in the heat of the day.

Our RV doesn't have slide toppers and I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to put some reflectix on the top of the slides (weighted down of course).

Has anyone done this? If so, was it worth the effort and money?

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

Same answer as on the HitchHiker forum.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Reflectrix would help but foil covered foam board would be a lot better at both stability and heat rejection.

Lowes: http://www.lowes.com/pd/Expanded-Polystyrene-Foam-Board-Insulation-Common-1-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Actual-0-937-in-x-3-875-ft-x-7-875-ft/3365576

This stuff cuts with a razor knife or hand saw quite easily, several thicknesses available. If you want it to be more durable you can seal the edges with aluminum (not colored cloth) duct tape. You can easily remove the lettering and white background (paint thinner or the like) to expose the shiny aluminum for better heat reflection.

We used this inside the rig too, in windows where we were sure they were staying closed for the summer, ones we wanted to open/close got Reflectrix. It makes good plugs for skylights too, a chunk of this and a foam rubber plug wrapped in an atractive cover will make the wife happy with the looks.

We found it made the rig a lot more livable in Pahrump NV, and Bullhead City AZ areas. It gave us several more hours during the day where the air conditioner didn't run 100% and the inside temp creep up. Once it was up it was pretty much invisible all that showed was some thin clothesline rope that we used to secure it so we got no park or neighbor complaints.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Same answer as on the HitchHiker forum.

Ken

Do you have a link for that?

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Scott if you use the foil covered foam the foil side will go up towards the slide topper. The foil tape he was talking about is the real thin foil tape that I have. Just slide the panels on top of the slide and secure it down. Let me know how you secure it and how it works. I need to do this too. I also bought a most system for the roof and door side of the RV. Need to envelope the RV is a bubble of cooler air.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

The discussion on the HH forum is here: http://nuwaowners.org/forum/index.php/topic,20469.0.html

I got a lot of good ideas from it, but Ken was the only one who weighed in on the slide toppers.

If I put the insulation on the top of the slides I'll just weight it down with some bricks from my son's house.

Thanks for the ideas and discussion.

Well just for starters I bought some Reflectrix for three of our windows. Two of them face the afternoon sun. I'm holding off on the foam board for now - waiting to see if my efforts thus far are enough.

Then, as things would happen, we're having a tad bit cooler day today so I can't see the hoped for fruit of my labor.

Archived