Apple Computer - "In the Beginning" - How it all started

Ron

If any of you are like me and truly appreciate the superb design, quality, and elegance* of Apple computers (and other Apple products) you will probably enjoy reading this article:

“Perhaps best known as the guy who introduced Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak, Bill Fernandez speaks out on Apple's founding magic, how love built the first Mac, and the interface of the future.”

Without Bill Fernandez there may have never been an Apple Computer Company!

* Engineer’s definition of elegance. In my career we used this term in all fields of engineering.

Ron Engelsman

http://www.mytripjournal.com/our_odyssey

Full-Timing since mid 2007

23' Komfort TT

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 8.1L

Ron,

Nice to hear a term I rarely hear discussed much these days. I used to simplify the term elegance for my folks as taking Occam's Razor and slicing down the quality and design until the result did exactly what it was designed to do, not one bit more, nor one bit less. Industrial engineers, apart from designing plants and the work methods and technology they use, also were generally a buffer between the engineers and the executives who generally understood little but sales charts. The engineers when asked for a 5 dollar widget that lasts 10 years were prone to proudly show their design for a $50 dollar widget that lasted 100 years. IE spoke engineer and marketing, as well as materials and production. I used my education in the USAF and later in designing steel skinned modern post frame buildings and siting, building, and finishing them.

I have Woz's book "iWoz: From Computer Geek to Cult Icon: How I Invented the Personal Computer, Co-Founded Apple, and Had Fun Doing It"

It is ironic that I have a 7" Kindle Fire HDX, and read with it daily before sleep. But I had to have the hard copy, which I do, in my downsized personal reference library from several thousand hardcovers to about 50 hardcovers and collectors paperbacks I own. If you haven't read it yet do. The Fernandez meeting is on page 88 and segues right into the graduation "SWAB JOB" banner prank that failed. Woz was my kind of guy!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived